We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Vilamoura to Loule

Which Vilamoura hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Vilamoura to Loule

We're leaving for a four day stay in Vilamoura on Friday.

My wife loves markets finding all sorts of rubbish fascinating and I'd like to take her to Loule on Saturday.

Is the market worth visiting and how do we get there by public transport?

Thanks,

Mike

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Vilamoura to Loule

I would assume you mean the so called "Gypsy Market" on Saturday mornings. I have coupled it with the farmers market then lunch in a nearby hill town restaurant. It is no different than any of them, and I think that they just go place to place with the same stuff. I would check to see if there is one closer to you on a different day. Quarteira has one on Wednesday I think. Personally, I would not make a huge effort to go to one. There is nothing special about them in my view. A lot of new clothes (knock off T shirts etc etc, used stuff {not antiques} like old records etc..car parts the usual car boot stuff) and the same pottery, tiles and the like, seen in any of the tourist shops. There are often crafts people who are making jewellery or painting portraits..etc etc..and often a group of "Indians"playing popular songs with pan flutes. They seem to be at all these places. They are very good. They play very popular tunes like John Lennon's "Imagine" etc..you get emotional and buy their CD's as they tell you that's what is on them. But when you get them home, it's just them playing tunes you have never heard of. And there are buskers and mimes all with their hats on the pavement looking for donations. There is an excellent bus service all over the Algarve. Their timetables can be found on the net. EVA is one bus company. I would think that there would be a good service from Quateira up to Loule.

UK
Level Contributor
176 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Vilamoura to Loule

Hi

We were in Quarteira in Oct, just around the bay from Vilamora, and took a taxi ride to Loule train station - it cost us 8 Euros going, and 5 coming back !!!! work that one out haaa (we thinks the hotel gets commission if they call the taxi firm !)

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,887 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Vilamoura to Loule

A bit late maybe but there is a direct 'market special' bus from Vilamoura to Loule on Saturday mornings Otherwise you have to go to the bus terminal in Quarteira from where there are regular buses to Loule.

I have the times on my Algarve public transport website at www.algarvebus.info

I have to agree though that these so-called gypsy markets are not much short of a tourist trap.

4. Re: Getting from Vilamoura to Loule

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, August 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Vilamoura