We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bring your car from uk to algarve

Which Vilamoura hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
bring your car from uk to algarve

just wondering if anyone has ever brought their own car to the algarve,would you recommend this option as we will be staying several weeks during the summer and would like our own car for convienience.

I have read there are alot of toll charges and the journey is very long from the uk.

can you recommend a car transporter company from the uk to portugal..

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,512 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bring your car from uk to algarve

It's a two day drive but friends of mine who drive down take a ferry to Northern Spain eg Bilbao, Santander or Gijon from where the Algarve is a day's drive. That would be worth considering as an alternative to all that driving and, after all, a ship is a good car transporter.

You do of course have to get across the water from NI first.

You do pay tolls on the French motorways and most of the motorways in Spain and Portugal.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,129 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: bring your car from uk to algarve

There are ex-pats who have their cars transported. If you check out the following website: http://algarve.angloinfo.com/forum/ you will probably find some posts about it or you'll find the companies in the directory.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bring your car from uk to algarve

thankyou both for your quick response,i would prefer to drive from England as im afraid of high customs fees when we cross over..i will check out the costs and decide ,thanks again

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,512 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bring your car from uk to algarve

" high customs fees"

???

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,129 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: bring your car from uk to algarve

There's no matter of customs. It's just a transport, not an import. Some ex-pats do this annually to have their cars MOT in the UK.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bring your car from uk to algarve

thankyou for responses..considering driving the car over myself as the journey will be a long but also a new experience

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,129 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: bring your car from uk to algarve

It is said that 'it's about the journey, not the destination" :)

Enjoy!

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bring your car from uk to algarve

I drive over every summer and stay for about a month , it is nearly 1400 miles from calais so to do it in 2 days is possible but tough going ,the motorways are excellent with much less traffic than uk ,It works out for us at about £900 return (from the midlands), thats fuel , tolls. ferry and stop-overs .It is a interesting trip especially if you treat it as part of your hols. with some great places to stop on the way . john

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bring your car from uk to algarve

thankyou Coventry kid,

,we would be travelling from midlands area also.,glad to hear you enjoy your trip each year,it does sound exciting and the roads are in good compared to here in uk.just checked with few transport companies and they can charge upto £1700 sounds ridiculous!think we will ferry across ourselves in next week or so,we can fill the boot with little extras we need like toiletries non perishable food etc....

10. Re: bring your car from uk to algarve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 30, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Vilamoura