We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palmyra/Vila sol vilamoura

Which Vilamoura hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
45 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
Palmyra/Vila sol vilamoura

I've been looking at these apartments, does anyone have any advice as it seems a very large complex, I've been looking at owners abroad site and lots and lots for rent. Is it in a good area for vilamoura and for families? Any advice is great

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palmyra/Vila sol vilamoura

It is quite remote from Vilamoura and car hire is definitely preferable.

Apart from that, it is lovely.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palmyra/Vila sol vilamoura

You will definitely need a car as the local supermarket closed last year.

Was in the area January and April and everything was quiet. Oscars pub which I used to frequent regularly IMHO is not good value for money now, as the menus have changed and has become more expensive.

It's a good location for the waterpark (Aquashow) which is just up the road.

Dependant on how busy the complexes (Vila Sol) are will dictate if you get a sun bed around the pool and grounds as not many properties provide their own sun beds.

Stayed in a 4 bed townhouse on Sunset Villas in Vila Sol which was very nice, but no playgrounds near if you have any young children.

Haven't stayed in Palmyra, but know there's been a lot of building work there over the last 4 years or so.

Nearest supermarket is Pingo Doce about 5 min drive down the road into Quarteira, it's a good supermarket for everything you will need. It's about a 5 -10min drive into Vilamoura main centre. Wouldn't advise you try to walk it as the main road is very busy and there are no footpaths until you get to Pingo Doce

Dependant on what time of the year you want to visit as August is the busiest month, you will have difficulty in August getting taxis as it was highlighted on the Forum last year.

I prefer to stay on the other side of Vilamoura by the Millenium and Laguna courses.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
56 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palmyra/Vila sol vilamoura

This year will be our 5th year returning to Palmyra 1 - we love it. We have two young kids (7 and 5) and find it very safe and family friendly. One of the things we love about it is the fact that it is out of town so very quiet with plenty of green space. You do absolutely need a car but that really isnt a problem - Vilamoura marina is a 5 minute drive, the Vila Sol beach maybe 15 minutes drive, 3 supermarkets within 5 minutes drive, the waterpark 2 minutes away. I suppose it depends on what sort of holiday you are looking for. You can use the Kids Club in the hotel and there is a small playground there too. You can use all of the hotel facilites.

Lanarkshire
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palmyra/Vila sol vilamoura

Hi there. I own a place in Vila Sol and being a little bit biased, i prefer the Vila Sol Village to Palmyra. I have stayed at Palmyra, Sunset Villas and the Village many times over the years yet i chose to buy at the Village in 2010.

The Village is the nearest phase to Oscars which has entertainment on every night and also has a French Bistro for morning pastries etc right beside it. There are 3 pools to choose from but the main thing for me is the wonderful grass area at our Phase which is truly fantastic for the kids to run and play on whilst you watch them from the patio (Ground floor a must for me)

As others say, a car is preferable however you are only 6 euros in a taxi to the Marina and a euro or so more to Vilamoura Beach. If you have a car, there are better, more private beaches within easy reach.

Apart from the hotel which is not really suitable for night entertainment in my view, Palmyra is a bit exposed on that front. You should consider the other phase though as its much better for kids

lancashire
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palmyra/Vila sol vilamoura

We stayed in palmyra last August and are going again next week and August. Quiet, beautiful appointed apartments and townhouses. All the building work is done, last year they were just finishing the interiors of phase 3. I would recommend staying in phase 1 or 2 as they are fully finished with mature landscaping etc. yes you need a car, but unless your staying in the centre of a resort you will need one anyway in the algarve to fully appreciate what is on offer. There are many reasonably priced restaurants around together with more exclusive ones. We have stayed in the area for the past 20 years and cannot recommend it enough for an excellent family holiday. If you do go make sure you try Marufo 1 for the best chicken,

Dublin, Ireland
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Palmyra/Vila sol vilamoura

I have been visiting Portugal for years now with my family and we are heading out in July again for 3 weeks staying at Vila Sol Sunset Villas. It is brilliant great for families, you definately need a car and I haven't found a problem with taxis in July. I have also stayed at the other side Millenium/Laguna side but found the Vila Sol side better as it is near Almancil/Vila Lobo and Loule villages nearby. Its just lovely staying on the golf course and we have made friends who are also heading out this year. Hope you get sorted and enjoy.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palmyra/Vila sol vilamoura

Just to reiterate what most are saying - Palmyra's a fabulous development at the top end of the Vila Sol complex. We (my wife & I + 1 year old daughter) along with a couple of friends were there for a week at the end of August: beautiful spacious apartments, manicured gardens great pool area. Phases 1 and 2 are fully established and of a great standard all round. All previous building work is complete although phases 3 and 4 are not as well populated (the coffee shop on phase 3 was closed as was the phase 4 pool (just for maintenance i think).

Had there been sort sort of bar/cafe on Palmyra itself i think it would have added to the experience, but this is a minor point given that it is self catering, and Oscars and Deli France at the other end of Vila Sol are a safe 15-20 min walk. The Vila Sol golf clubhouse and hotel are next door and also worth a visit.

You definitely need a car / taxi if you're going off the resort into Vilamoura itself, although unless you're staying on the marina you would prob need that anyway.

Resort felt very safe - the Palmyra part is gated - and like Vila Sol in general (we stated in a villa on the resort last year and have been elsewhere in Vilamoura several times) was impeccably clean. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend/return!

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,166 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Palmyra/Vila sol vilamoura

Thanks for sharing. Good to hear such positive comments.

9. Re: Palmyra/Vila sol vilamoura

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, October 10, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Vilamoura
Recent Conversations