We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

50% deposit ,too much to pay?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
50% deposit ,too much to pay?

I am about to book 3 apartments with village4ulettings and they have said that would are looking for a 50% deposit of the total price? does anyone else think this is very high? I dont ever remember having to pay that much before as a deposit?

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 50% deposit ,too much to pay?

I think it's very high!

2. Re: 50% deposit ,too much to pay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:18 pm, January 23, 2013
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 50% deposit ,too much to pay?

A lot of the information I got for deposits was about 50% but that was for private apartements.When I book with Booking.com I dont pay the hotel or apartement usually when I am leaving I give them a print of my visa card when I arrive but am only charged when I leave.The only time I pay before I go usually is when I get a 50% reduction or more on the apartement.Trip adviser will send you notice on apartements etc. if you request it you then get a price off the owner and the terms.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 50% deposit ,too much to pay?

Here are the terms of Five Star, which I mentioned in a previous post. They have been here for years. If I remember well Village4ulettings has been here for about 3 years.

http://fivestarvilamoura.com/terms.aspx

If you book through Owners Direct, you'll usually pay 25%.

london
Level Contributor
1,772 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 50% deposit ,too much to pay?

usually 25-30 % is acceptable for private bookings

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 50% deposit ,too much to pay?

wouldnt pay 50% especially when the money is not bonded by the likes of ABTA, 25% would be the most I would consider,ask them can you guarantee booking with credit card swipe, at least you will have some redress with cc company if anything goes wrong

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 50% deposit ,too much to pay?

The most I've ever seen is 20% to 25%. Sounds excessive to me.

derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 50% deposit ,too much to pay?

Way too much to pay. In fact it would put me off completely. Never seen or been asked for a deposit for 50% of total cost

9. Re: 50% deposit ,too much to pay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 26, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Vilamoura