We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back from Palmyra - Vi;la Sol

London
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back from Palmyra - Vi;la Sol

I have been to vilamoura 4 times, it was our first visit to Palmyra as we have a growing family, If you have any questions about the location, taxis in and out of the marina, supermarkets etc please ask I wish I had known more before booking.

Edited: 8:29 am, August 24, 2012
Limerick
Level Contributor
166 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Back from Palmyra - Vi;la Sol

Would you recommend it, in comparison to where you have stayed previously? If so, why, and if not, why not?

London
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Back from Palmyra - Vi;la Sol

Hi, I have stayed at the Vila Gale Marina, Vila Gale Ampalius and more recently some apartments on a private complex much closer to the marina. Palmyra we found to be a very good standard of accomodation, very high spec etc. There were though a number of issues, the nearest hypermarket which is a 10 minute drive away was a complete nightmare (probably because of the time of year) it was absolutely packed, so you had no chance of popping out quickly to get some bits and pieces, it was impossible to even park. Palmyra has no amenities at all, only a couple of vending machines that weren't working most of the time, so you had to drive to Deli France at the entrance to Vila Sol just to get a bottle of water! Completely inpractical for families. We went to the marina most nights as we love it and to be honest the nearest bar (Oscars) you can't walk to anyway, we did though have to pre book taxis to get home as we didn't fancy the 2 hour wait for a taxi with a 3 year old! I certainly wouldn't stay at Palmyra again, I personally like to walk now and again and not to rely on taxis or a hire car. I would only reccomend it to people who want to laze around a pool all day and then stay in at night.

Belfast
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Back from Palmyra - Vi;la Sol

You will find that August is a nightmare for shopping. As you say there is no quick nipping anywhere. If you have no kids or they are not of school age then June and September are the choice months to go.

England
Level Contributor
4,757 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Back from Palmyra - Vi;la Sol

I wonder if you could do a full trip report.

I like reading these from other travelers and it helps sus out whether I would like to visit the same area/resort/hotel.

We don't get too many on TA Algave.

The ones on the Australia forums are very comprehensive and are like travelouges.

Just a thought.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Back from Palmyra - Vi;la Sol

I called in to Palmyra when I was on holiday and was put off when one of the guests said he had to get up at 7.30pm to put towels on some sunbeds. This horrified me as I cant stand this practice and to hear of it happening in a 5 star resort really surprised me.

London
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Back from Palmyra - Vi;la Sol

This is true at times, although we mostly got beds without too much of an issue. Another thing I forgot to mention was that the management turn off all street lights and pool lights at midnight, so when sitting on your balcony enjoying a glass of wine, the whole complex is plunged into darkness. Unbelievable and not good for security.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
90 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Back from Palmyra - Vi;la Sol

Most of the lights within the Vila Sol complex seemed to be turned off long before midnight.

Still, it made for an interesting game of Russian Roulette with the sprinklers!

:-o

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,179 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Back from Palmyra - Vi;la Sol

It's not safe and also not very smart of them. If anyone gets injured, they are liable and their insurance will not cover it.

London
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Back from Palmyra - Vi;la Sol

Absolutely agree, I asked the management on site about it and was met with a very firm response, as I was with most things to be honest. Its clearly a cost saving measure, I just don't think its acceptable, midnight is not late in Portugal, the Portugese are still eating!

10. Re: Just Back from Palmyra - Vi;la Sol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, December 15, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Vilamoura
Recent Conversations