We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gymnasium (s)

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
97 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Gymnasium (s)

Can anyone recommend some gym's for me please? Near the Old Village - I have two yound lads with me in July who are keen to keep up their training progamme - free weights etc. I know of Browns, Four Seasons and Hilton but they are quite expensive. Is there a 'council' type facility like we have here on a pay as you go basis? Only there for 2 weeks this time so don't want them having to pay for a month. Also would be useful if they could get there themselves rather than relying on us as taxi drivers!!

Thanks all :))))

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve
Level Contributor
14,187 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gymnasium (s)

Near the bus station in Quarteira:

NewLife fitness Club

Rua do Portão, Urbamar

8125 Quarteira

Tel: 289- 314777

You could rent bikes in Old Village to get there. The cafe closest to Four Seasons rents them.

Another option, walking distance, is the Municipal pool right on the edge of Vilamoura and Quarteira. They have equipment and specific hours that you can use them.

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
97 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gymnasium (s)

Thank you! Love the bike idea despite their inability to obey anything road wise - could be fun!! ha

Tramore, Ireland
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gymnasium (s)

Just back and typically only discovered in the last few days of my trip some of teh answers to your question.

Newlife in Quarteira is a nice gym with a lot of machines (most of which are new) and the daily cost is €7.50 per day so its great for casual use.

Browns is €20 per day or you can join as a weekly member for €70 oer week.

If the lads were going to use it every day for say a week I woyld definitely use Browns as the overall faciilities are far superior than Newlife (sauna, turkish bath, indoor pool etc).

Only wish I had known this before I went and now at the end of the trip.

Hope this helps.

Belfast
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Gymnasium (s)

There is a council sports centre about 15 minutes walk from you on the edge of Quarteira. Look for the floodlights of the football ground and it's beside it. They have a large indoor pool but I am unsure if they have weights etc. Try and google it.

Tiptree, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gymnasium (s)

Two weeks membership at Browns is EUR115, so it goes down slightly from the one-week price.

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
97 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gymnasium (s)

Thanks everyone I shall advise the fitness freaks of their options! :)))))

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
97 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gymnasium (s)

Well. Here now. Fab as always. Boys joined the local gym- 18 euros each for two weeks cheaper if you have student card. Apparently gym is good but to swim you need hat and speedos ! Yikes. Could be scary!! Thanks again. Any questions am here now so do ask. Xx

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve
Level Contributor
14,187 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gymnasium (s)

Glad that worked out. Yes, the municipal pool has very strict rules!

Hope your furniture purchase worked out as well?

Enjoy your stay.

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
97 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gymnasium (s)

Not tried sofa shopping yet! If this cloud doesn't shift may do so later!! Thanks :)))

10. Re: Gymnasium (s)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Vilamoura