We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vilamoura or Albufeira

Which Vilamoura hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Vilamoura or Albufeira

Hello

I heard that Vilamoura has nice beaches ,i like going in july ,have u guys been in Vilamoura or Albufeira?

Which one would u reccomend?

where do u have to fly to from Uk?

Any places to stay that you can reccomend?

Many thanks

ADRI

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,192 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vilamoura or Albufeira

Vilamoura is an upmarket golf resort, nice beaches but very pricey. Nice beach for sure, but at a cost. A big, spread out area with many accommodations two or three miles from the beach.

Albufeira is the biggest tourist resort in the Algarve, very popular with British (40% of visitors) Portuguese (40%) and Northern Europeans generally. Very nice sandy beaches, but a lot of the new resort hotels are a mile or more out of town.

There's only airport here, Faro. Loads of flights from Manchester in summer eg Jet2.com and Easyjet.

Check somewhere like booking.com or alpharooms .com for places to stay. It's impossible to recommend anywhere without knowing budget, preferences etc, suffice it to say that Albufeira caters for just about anyone and anything.

From mid-July onwards it is VERY busy here, so get looking right now.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Olhos de Agua
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vilamoura or Albufeira

Hi,

Both places are great but very diferent.

Vilamoura has long beaches with many sunbeds, parasol and aquatic sports. A nice large marina with many restaurants, bars and shops. Book an hotel or apartment around marina and beach is a litle bit expensive but there are cheaper apartments near golf but car is necessary or use touristic train. Vilamoura is not so buzy like Albufeira.

Albufeira oldtown is a touristic town, plenty of restaurants and bars with live music in narrow streats. Beaches are small but with parasols and sunbeds. There are many hotels and apartments around Albufeira oldtown not so expensive,

Oura beach ( new Albufeira ) is very nice too, maybe better for young people but nice for all ages. Beach is small too and there are many hotels and apartments aroun and easy walking to beach and famous strip with many bars, discos and restaurants.

Between Oura and oldtown there are a touristiv trai runing all day but is possible go walking, mor and less 30 minutes walking between the 2 areas but always with hotels, apartmens, shops and restaurants.

Albufeira area is very buzy all summer.

Leonor

England
Level Contributor
252 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Vilamoura or Albufeira

Adri, as a Mancunian and lifelong United fan who loves Vilamoura and can't praise it enough I recommend you go to Albufeira !

Only kidding pal, if you want any info I would be glad to assist.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
125 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vilamoura or Albufeira

Hi guys, out of these two resorts which do you think would be best for a late 20's couple at the end of februaury? we're going for five nights and worried about it being low season as this might be our only holiday this year. Any advice greatfully received. thanks

merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vilamoura or Albufeira

Albufeira at that time of year a lot more places open as it still has a resident population wheras Villamoura is really a man made resort that does not have many residents as such so not as many places open

Edited: 12:26 pm, February 09, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vilamoura or Albufeira

I agree with sunndays.

Albufeira is much more buzy at this time of the year but visit Vilamoura! half day is enought and there are bus to Vilamoura.

Leonor

Newcastle
Level Contributor
125 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vilamoura or Albufeira

Great thanks for the advice,any suggestions of where to stay in albufeira then? Is the strip quite tacky or not too bad? I'm no snob but would like to stay in the nicest area? Also any more details on that bus to vilamoura would be fab x

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vilamoura or Albufeira

Depends on what kind of holiday you want and who you are travelling with. The Strip is very touristy and all the nightclubs are there, the Old Town has a lot more character but also a great fun vibe. You can't be close to both as they are on opposite sides of Albufeira but you could be in the middle somewhere if you want to hedge your bets.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vilamoura or Albufeira

If you prefer be on oldtown, VILAGALE CERRO ALAGOA is an excellent hotel, because is easy walking to downtown, beach, near many restaurants, supermarket, shops, bars and caffes. In front of hotel recepcion is touristic train stop. This train round all area between oldtown and new town ( oura beach). Next door Vilagale hotel is Brisasol and Paraiso de Albufeira. They are nice too.

If you prefer Oura beach ( new Albufeira ) there are a lot of nice apartments and Hotels like CLUB PRAIA DA OURA, QUINTA PEDRA BICOS and much more that you can find and choose in tripadvisor.

Let me know if you need more help and choose an hotel you like maybe I can help you with qualitty and locacion.

About bus to Vilamoura, you can find information in bus stop in many roads and streats. By bus is more and less 30 minutes to Vilamoura.

Leonor

Newcastle
Level Contributor
125 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vilamoura or Albufeira

great, thanks for the help, just a quick question, I know Ohlos de Agua is a bit further away but seen some nice apartments there, will it be a ghost town at this time of year?

Get answers to your questions about Vilamoura