We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year in Vilamoura

The Hague...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
New Year in Vilamoura

Hi anyone out there.... I have travelled several times to the Algarve, but only in the summer months. This time I am going to be in Vilamoura for a week starting 31st December. Could you please tell me: 1) what are the celebration traditions at New Year; 2) what will be the approximate temperature at that time.

Thanks very much for your time and trouble.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
797 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year in Vilamoura

1) Not much tradition: have dinner out in a good restaurant (or at home of course), have champagne or port wine with 12 dried rasins at midnight. Some people like to have their raisins/wine on top of a chair. Then the atmosphere will vary a lot in each restaurant, some will have music on with lots of flashy decors and generally at about 11:30 pm start to hand out the usual new year serpentines and "stuff". To tell you the truth I hate it and find it very depressing, but I think it's the same all over the world and will vary a lot from restaurant to restaurant, from bar to bar. Most of the people then head down to a bar and later to a discotheque (for portuguese, not before 2 am, foreigners can come first). Discotheques will be crowded. If you are planning on going to a discoteque it might be a good idea to get some information first on what swits you, otherwise some are quite creeepy. This changes a lot from year to year. In most restaurants you'll find a lot of children, families will go all together. The 1st of January is also a day where lots of people in the Algarve (because they are on holydays or are tourists) will go to a restaurant for lunch. There are specific new year dishes available in most restaurants that vary regionally. There is a habit of going swimming on the first of January.

2) I'd say 13 degrees centigrate.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
797 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year in Vilamoura

I forgot. The biggest "tradition", probably: everybody dresses up.

Get answers to your questions about Vilamoura
Recent Conversations