We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping near Svolvaer ferry?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Pasadena, California
1 post
Save Topic
Camping near Svolvaer ferry?

I am planning on taking the evening ferry from Bodo to Svolvaer (arriving at 21:35 on a Friday). Is there any camping within walking distance of the ferry terminal?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping near Svolvaer ferry?

The closest camping is Lofoten Feriesenter, 3km or 30min. walk from Svolvær.

Another option is to take the bus to Kabelvåg, there are 3 camp sites around there. Bus 18-741 towards Leknes corresponds with the express boat from Bodø, leaves at 2145.

Google map view of campings in the area: https://goo.gl/maps/PbcBy

Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping near Svolvaer ferry?

I hope its okay to resurrect this particular subject. I will be arriving in Svolvaer by Hurtigruten in mid-March 2015, and am also wondering about my accomodation options.

I will arrive around 21:00pm, and am picking up a rental car first thing in the morning - so I would "prefer" to save on accomodation costs and not have to book a hotel. But even though I am equipped with a winter sleeping bag, I am inclined to think that being mid-march, I probably won't be able to get away with "camping" somewhere?

Does anyone know of any cheaper accomodation options that will be easy to get to at 2100 at night? Or is there an area within the ferry terminal that I can just curl up in for a few hours?

Any help would be great - many thanks!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,688 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping near Svolvaer ferry?

Spending the night ourside in mid March is not realistic - the weather can be very unforgiving. Ferry docks normally only have toilets and they will be locked up at night.

I would suggest you get the car delivered when you arrive, then you will have shelter and the sleeping bag will do.

4. Re: Camping near Svolvaer ferry?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, March 06, 2016