We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Captains Cabin in Marsascala

Which Marsascala hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Captains Cabin in Marsascala

Does anyone know if this bar is still around? It was run by a deep sea diver Tony many years ago - does it still exist? Jax 63

Blackburn, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Captains Cabin in Marsascala

Don't know if it is the same place but a bar called Coxswain's Cabin was being renovated last week, and was due to open soon. It was about 100 yards along the promenade on the left.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Captains Cabin in Marsascala

Many thanks. I went to Malta 3 weeks ago and visited Marsascala and discovered it was the Coxswains Cabin. Sadly my old friend Tony died a couple of years ago but I caught up with the new owner who had worked with him for years and bought the bar from him. I didn't recognise Marsascala at all - when I was there Tony's place was the only bar in town and my villa the only pink palace in town!!!

Jackie

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Captains Cabin in Marsascala

We had lunch down in Marsascala the other week and were quite amazed by how run down it is starting to look, loads of brits drinking outside tacky style brit bars, hardly anywhere selling fresh fish and those that were selling it were more expensive than Marsaxlokk, nope not looking to good down there these days Marsaxlokk is much better in most respects, but talking of lunch if you want a really good lunch then Mgarr really is still the place to be, been a few times recently for bunny on a Sunday and to 4 different places and they were all really good especially our old favourite Ta Wistin, Ta Ingliz is good, so is the United bar, and the Mgarr farmers in Zebbiegh, and if you want Torta Ta Fenek (rabbit pie) then Cafe Papylon in Hamrun is absolutely fantastic, feeling hungry now.

Dorchester, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Captains Cabin in Marsascala

I am in Marsasacala at the moment, visiting my Mum (who has lived here for 8 years). We went to Coxwain's Cabin tonight, it has been taken over by a young family, and even my Mum said it has been the best meal she has had on the 8 years on the Island. It was FANTASTIC food. Highly recommended and a new and up and coming restaurant. It is further down the bay than the bars referred to above, by a few hundred yards, admittedly, but they do not impose.

Another good b ar/restaurant is Grabiels, on the bridge, or St Thomas' Bar at the tip of Marsascala, about 10 mins walk (either way around the Bay) heading south from Grabiela's (or up the hill!!).

London
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Captains Cabin in Marsascala

I was having a relaxing beer & coffee break in Marsascala on Weds afternoon after spending the morning in Marsaxlokk and didn't notice "loads of brits", other than 2 or 3 outside the Lemon & Lime pub. I was happily drinking Golden Pils for €1 a can in the sunshine outside La Marina (which could be described as a tacky tourist pizza place - but fine by me). I don't think Marsascala is any more run down than most of Malta and it has a mighty fine palm lined promenade stretching right around to St Thomas tower (that just needs a lick of paint). I would only say that it needs more boats, there's loads of empty moorings. I like quiet little Marsascala a lot and would hate to see it overrun with over-rated, over-priced, pretentious fish restaurants, I think the present mix is about right......but more pretty bobbing boats please.

I like Marsaxlokk too, by the way, but bordering on too many fish restaurants, I blame that Rick Stein bloke!!

Ntd

Southampton, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Captains Cabin in Marsascala

Can anyone tell me if there is still a Deep Sea Divers helmet in the bar?

7. Re: Captains Cabin in Marsascala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, November 02, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Marsascala
More Marsascala Topics