We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marco polo Airport To Limone, Lakr Garda (Hotel San Pietro)

Pershore, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Marco polo Airport To Limone, Lakr Garda (Hotel San Pietro)

Hi everyone

My BF and I leave for Limone, Lake Garda on the 10th July and Fly back 14th. I am just realising the how far Marco Polo Airport is from Limone and that it may be a long day just getting to the hotel! Through reading comments and posts on this site I think we need to Get a bus from the Airport to Mestre station, then a train (Milan Line?) to Desenzano, and then either a Bus, Ferry or Taxi to Limone/Hotel. Is this the best way to do it? Does anyone have any info regarding which bus's (eg company and number) We need? and/or ferry. Also, I know it sounds silly but how much info will be in English? Do i need a good phrase book? My Italian is non existent and hate being the ignorant tourist. Any advice would be much appreciated. Im all for an adventure but with limited time and funds I dont want to mess up! Many thanks advance.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,698 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marco polo Airport To Limone, Lakr Garda (Hotel San Pietro)

Hi, what time does your flight arrive? I don't know the fine details of how to get from Marco Polo airport to the train station - you'd be best to ask that on the Venice forum.

The train line is Venice/Milan and you will, as you say, take the train to Desenzano which is at the south-west of Lake Garda. From there you can take a bus (LN027) up to Limone. This is the bus timetable:

trasportibrescia.it/upload/…LN027.pdf

Public transport doesn't run late into the evening so check times carefully.

Taking a boat up to Limone is probably not the best option. There are not many boats going up and down the full length of the lake, and you can't take luggage on the "fast" boats (there isn't room). There are only three slow boats from the south to the north per day: one leaves Peschiera at 9.45 and gets to Limone at 12.48, another from Desenzano at 9.50 arriving at 13.15, and one from Desenzano at 15.05 and getting to Limone at 18.50.

This is the boat timetable:

navigazionelaghi.it/file2/…202012.pdf

A private transfer from Desenzano to Limone will probably cost in the region of €120. It's always worth sending an email to your hotel to ask if they provide a transfer service.

You will manage with English but any effort to speak Italian is hugely appreciated. Learning the basics - good morning, please, thank you, how much? etc - would be a good idea, so arm yourselves with a good phrase book.

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
5,773 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marco polo Airport To Limone, Lakr Garda (Hotel San Pietro)

Hi, yes it will be a longish journey from Venice to Limone. The train journey will take between 1.5 - 2 hrs. depending on the type of train, obviously the faster train costs more 25 euros against 10.35 on the regional slower train.

http://www.fsitaliane.it/homepage_en.html

The bus from Desenzano del Garda takes around 90 mins at a fare of around 5.40 euros.

trasportibrescia.it/upload/…LN027.pdf

A taxi from Desenzano station will cost around 120 euros each way

http://taxi.limtours.it/

A lot depends on what time you will be arriving & departing as public transport around the lake doesn't run late. There is another bus, with a better service, which runs up the eastern side of the lake as far as Riva del Garda, then you would only have a short taxi ride to Limone.

…verona.it/atv_www/…62-64.pd

Another option would be to change trains in Verona, and go to Rovereto, then a taxi to Limone, around 62 euros, or a bus to Riva del Garda.

There really isn't an 'easy' way, but it will be worth it when you get there. Its just a matter of figuring out which is the best route for you.

The majority of people speak English, and most information is in a few different languages. Its always appreciated though if you can say a few basic words in Italian - hello, please, thank you etc.

Edited: 12:13 pm, July 01, 2012
Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,698 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marco polo Airport To Limone, Lakr Garda (Hotel San Pietro)

You know what they say Tepore - great minds think alike..... :)

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,773 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marco polo Airport To Limone, Lakr Garda (Hotel San Pietro)

Don't know about great minds (on my part anyway) - but we certainly think alike!

Edited: 12:22 pm, July 01, 2012
Pershore, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Marco polo Airport To Limone, Lakr Garda (Hotel San Pietro)

Hi Both

Thank you so much for your information and advice. Im sure once we are there we will love it-and the journey will be an adventure! Our flight arrives at 10.25 at Venice on the 10th and Departs at 18.25 on the 14th. Looking at the time table we should make the buses to the train station. If not are there taxis normally at the train station at Desenzano? I am going to e mail the hotel and see if they do transfers. We will leave the boats/ferries for relaxing day trips! I can't think of anything else to ask at the moment...that may change but in the mean time thank you very much. Can't wait. Will get a phrase book asap!

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,773 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marco polo Airport To Limone, Lakr Garda (Hotel San Pietro)

Yes, there will be taxis at the station.

Pershore, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Marco polo Airport To Limone, Lakr Garda (Hotel San Pietro)

Thank you very much. We have been in contact with the hotel and we will get a taxi from the station at Desenzano. Thanks for all your help.

8. Re: Marco polo Airport To Limone, Lakr Garda (Hotel San Pietro)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, July 09, 2013