We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spain to France travel

quezon city
2 posts
Save Topic
Spain to France travel

I'm visiting an aunt in Santander, Spain and i would like to go to Lourdes from there. Can anyone tell me how i can do that? Thank you.

8 replies to this topic
Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spain to France travel

You have various options. There are direct trains from Hendaye in France (the first station over the border) to Lourdes, so it is a question of how you choose to get to Hendaye. You could either take a bus to Irun from Santander, www.alsa.es, and then get the Topo, a connecting train run by www.euskotren.es across to Hendaye (it is literally about 3 minutes trip). Or you could get the bus only as far as San Sebastian (beautiful city, worth a stop), and get the same Euskotren train from there to Hendaye. For trains the French side, check out www.sncf.com or www.raileurope.co.uk. The Euskotren will NOT appear on these sites as it is a private company.

There are other options too, you may want to check out www.pesa.es bus company, who also run cross border buses from Bilbao and San Sebastian.

Hope that's not too confusing and helps!

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spain to France travel

Just saw something on the PESA bus website (www.pesa.net) which might interest you, check this out: pesa.net/pesa/…LOURDES_2011.pdf

There are now buses on Saturdays and Sundays from Bilbao to Lourdes (also stopping in San Sebastian and Irun) from 18th June to 18th September, leaving early, giving you the day there, and returning the same evening.

The only thing is you can only get the tickets at the PESA kiosks in Bilbao and SS bus stations, so maybe it would be a case of getting to Bilbao the night before and getting the ticket, and getting the bus the next day (times work perfectly to return the same day too).

Remember for buses from Santander to Bilbao, see www.alsa.es, www.termibus.es, or www.transportedecantabria.com

quezon city
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Spain to France travel

Wow thanks so much Raton Cantabria. i'll look into these sites you've mentioned.

I was just wondering, i was browsing the site alsa.es and there is a trip from Santander to Tarbes, but the schedule is quite strange:

Itinerary shows leaving santander at 9 pm arriving in Tarbes at 345 am, but the time schedules in between is a bit crazy or i just dont understand it. I've asked my aunt to check it out though. I

I'll check out what you suggested as well. Thanks so much.

4. Re: Spain to France travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, July 25, 2011

Perth
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spain to France travel

I am travelling by train from San Sebastian, Spain to Hendaye. I need to transfer from Hendaye to Renfe train but only have 20 minutes to do so. Is this enough time and how do I get there?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,039 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spain to France travel

Which train are you getting from San Sebastian? If it is the Metro Donostialdea (the Euskotren as was) you just cross the car park to the Gare SNCF. If it is a main line train they will stop in the same station. Either way 20 minutes will be plenty.

Ipswich, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Spain to France travel

I plan to travel from Bilbao to Hendaye in July 2014. Our hire car must be dropped at San Sebastian. How do I move from San Sebastion to Hendaye in the morning time?

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
459 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spain to France travel

@rex m, depending on when you are travelling you can catch the Euskotren from Amara station to Hendaye: http://www.euskotren.es

Reply to: Spain to France travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Irun