We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How can tourists visit the Tiwi Islands?

Edinburgh Scotland
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How can tourists visit the Tiwi Islands?

We are visiting Darwin in October 2013 and would like to visit the Tiwi Islands for a day. However, it appears that the tourist day charter flights have been suspended until 2014 and there is no longer a fast ferry from Darwin.

Can tourists still visit the Tiwi Islands and, if so, how what transport is available?

8 replies to this topic
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,403 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How can tourists visit the Tiwi Islands?

As a tourist you can only visit the Tiwi Island on a tour. If all of the tourist charters have been suspended I am sorry to say you will probably not be able to go - although I didn't hear of this happening so I don't know the details.

The ferry stopped some time ago.

For the latest advice I would check with Tourism Top End. espncricinfo.com/nzvaus2010/…452485.html

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,936 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How can tourists visit the Tiwi Islands?

Nana said not to post that link, Shaz.

This one is better: http://www.tourismtopend.com.au/

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,403 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How can tourists visit the Tiwi Islands?

Thanks Luigi - damn mobile phone!

Langkawi District...
Level Contributor
42 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How can tourists visit the Tiwi Islands?

If you like to combine fishing with a cultural experience, you might wish to check out tiwiadventures.com.au or clearwaterislandlodge.com.au.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,403 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How can tourists visit the Tiwi Islands?

I'm not sure how much culture is involved on most fishing charters - they are usually very much fishing, followed by talking about fishing over a few beers, and then a bit more fishing.

Great if you want to go fishing but I would check very carefully about what you get if you actually want to see the Tiwi Is and experience the culture.

Langkawi District...
Level Contributor
42 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How can tourists visit the Tiwi Islands?

Both cited websites offer experiences outside fishing as they promote indigenous employment at their accommodation venues. They both highlight cultural tours. It is always worth reviewing alternatives to discover unique experiences.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,403 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How can tourists visit the Tiwi Islands?

I agree checking out alternatives is great, but stand by my advice of checking carefully what you get.

I had a friend who worked on a very similar fishing lodge in Arhnem land which also advertised optional cultural experiences on its website (in fact it was her job to organise these). When she talked about what it was like at the lodge it was clear the cultural experiences were very much secondary to the fishing (and were often viewed as something to entertain non-fishing wives).

I fully admit, however, that it might not be like this at all fishing lodges and if you have been to either of the places you recommended I would love to hear of your experiences.

Langkawi District...
Level Contributor
42 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How can tourists visit the Tiwi Islands?

You will be pleased to know the Ferry resumes on September 16. The Sea Link will run to Nguiu every Monday, Thursday and Friday for a year's trial. Cost $80 return.

Reply to: How can tourists visit the Tiwi Islands?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tiwi Islands