We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to la touquet without car

epsom-uk
2 posts
Save Topic
best way to la touquet without car

i would like to go to la touquet for a short break but i do not drive- what is the best and chepest way to get there.

UK
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to la touquet without car

You could try contacting Epsom Coaches to see if they ever run excursions to Le Touquet:

http://online.epsomcoaches.com/tours/

Alternatively you could fly from Lydd to Le Touquet:

http://www.lyddair.com/

UK
Level Contributor
170 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to la touquet without car

Nearest railway station is Etaples, on the opposite side of the river Canche. You could take a taxi to Le Touquet from there (about three miles).

Angela

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to la touquet without car

Best way is the eurostar to Frethun (near Calais) and then you can get a train from the SNCF station next door to either direct to Etaples or to Boulogne and change for Etaples.

Cost is not so bad IF you book the eurostar well in advance, usually a month or more to get the best prices. Alas locals use the eurostar service to travel to Paris fast so it tends to book up.

If you don't suffer delays it can be quite fast in all, I've done it in under 3 hours. But be warned, if the eurostar is delayed you may miss the trains to Boulogne and Etaples and have to catch an expensive taxi, without recourse to Eurostar if it is not their fault. Cost me 120 euros once.

However don't let that put you off, it is a good way to travel over.

It is a shame the 1920's tram does no longer run between Etaples and Le Touquet, it used to ferry peeps to the seaside. Maybe we should push them to reinstate it?

Another option if you like the ocean waves is to train it to Dover and catch the ferry, then a bus to Calais, train to Boulogne and onto Etaples. Not a bad journey and I've done it a couple of times and once with my 11 year old daughter who liked the adventure. Adventure it is though as it is a lot of fiddling about waiting for the bus or trains. However cheap as chips if you have a network rail card or discount rail cards for the UK end. It takes a lot longer than the eurostar.

Another shame is that Speedferries don't take foot passengers and probably never will. They run a fast cat ferry from dover to Boulogne that is just as it says, fast, and cheap.

A great place to stay is the Belvedere which is Etaples side of Le Touquet on the way in within the woods. (www.belvederfrance.com)

4. Re: best way to la touquet without car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 pm, August 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Le Touquet...