We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upcoming weekend in Montreuil sur Mer

London
5 posts
Save Topic
Upcoming weekend in Montreuil sur Mer

Hi,

I am off for a weekend in early September to Montreuil Sur Mer with my girlfriend and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to activities, places to see and resterants to eat at.

We are both in our mid 20's and are looking for a relaxing weekend away with some great food.

Neither of us have visited the area and are open to suggestions, especialy with regards to hidden gems!

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

G

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Upcoming weekend in Montreuil sur Mer

Merlimont Plage is one of the nicer beaches in the area, less built up than Le Touquet or Berck.

In Argoules, the Abbaye de Valloire has beautiful gardens - nice and relaxing and romantic to walk about.

http://www.jardins-de-valloires.com/

(This is a great, interactive site)

If you are into history, then there is a very large and interesting WWI British Graveyard at Etaples.

If you are into things marine, then the Nausicaa Aquarium in Boulogne is really good. It is a big aquarium over several floors. As good as The Deep in Hull (a complement to both)

Down a bit further are the towns of Le Crotoy and St. Valery sur Somme. These are linked by a Tourist Railway, which runs across the bay. Good fun and the towns are beautiful.

www.tourisme-crotoy.com/

www.noscotes.com/pagefr/galeriecrotoya.php

St. Valery is a medieval town, with cobbled streets. Very picturesque

http://www.saint-valery-sur-somme.fr/

London
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Upcoming weekend in Montreuil sur Mer

many thanks for your suggestions

I have heard there is a market in Montreuil on Saturdays - do you know if that is true?

Any thoughts on where to eat in Montreuil - somewhere authentic and not over priced would be great...

Thanks

G

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
27,747 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Upcoming weekend in Montreuil sur Mer

Sorry - I can't help you on Montreuil itself. We've only visited the town and the walls. We didn't eat there or go to the market.

Bengodog is the Calais Expert and will know much more than I do.

We stay in St. Valery sur Somme when in the area.

UK
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Upcoming weekend in Montreuil sur Mer

I can confirm there's a market in Montreuil on a Saturday which we've visited on a number of occasions.

Montreuil is a charming town and because of this and it's close proximity to the coast is much visited by the Brits. There is a wide choice of restaurants from your usual basic fare to two, one star Michelin restaurants Restaurant "hidden gems " are few and far between as the local French (apart from business men at lunch)tend to eat out only on high days and holidays and "great food" comes at a price.

We have eaten in a number of restaurants in Montreuil over the years and have come to the conclusion that the best value for money is probably out of town - possibly in Etaples or Le Touquet where they serve the freshest fish or in Hesdin which is less visited.

5. Re: Upcoming weekend in Montreuil sur Mer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, September 07, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Le Touquet...