We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quickest route to Munich central station?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Quickest route to Munich central station?

Which is the quickest route to Munich from Maria Alm?

Via St Johann? Via Lofer to Salzburg or via Dienten and then north to Salzburg on the Villach motorway?

Need to be at Hertz at Hauptbanhof Munich before 9.30 am

Thanks

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Quickest route to Munich central station?

Let me start out by giving you what I think (from my own experience) to be the best way to get from Maria Alm to the outskirts of Munich.

Then, let me list options I see for the car return.

The trip will be over 100km, over autobahns with several speed restrictions. Also, on weekdays, you will very likely encounter heavy rush hour traffic. So, give yourself lots of time.

Drive from Maria Alm to Saalfelden, then take the Austrian B- 164 to St. Johann. From there, take the B-312 west past Elmau to Bocking, and the B-173 to Kiefersfelden. Although you will be paralleling the Austrian B-12 for the last few kilometers, do not get onto the A-12 unless you have a valid Vignette, the toll sticker for the use of the Austrian Autobahns. If the police catch you on the A-12 without the vignette (and they ARE on the lookout for people without it), those would be the most expensive KM you have ever driven.

At or past Kiefersfelden, get on the German A-93 Autobahn, (that’s what the A-12 becomes in Germany). Take the A-93 north to the Inntal Dreieck, and get onto the A-8 westbound to Munich.

Now to the options: If you have to meet the 9:30AM deadline to avoid being charged for another day, consider dropping off the car either at the airport or at a place close to where you enter Munich, namely in Perlach or Steinhausen. Finding your way to the main station (Hauptbahnhof) can be confusing and time-consuming. Getting to the airport from the A-8 is easy and well marked on the A-8, at the exit Muenchen Ost. If you have to get to the main station, try to get some detailed directions. I estimate that from the end of the autobahn n Perlach, it will take you at least ½ hour to get to the station.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quickest route to Munich central station?

Thanks Treplow for the very detailed reply.

We will be travelling on a Saturday morning and will have a Vignette.

Will take your advice and go via St Johann.. Maria Alm is not the most convenient place for access to motorways.

We will spend our last Saturday in Munich and then get the Sbahn to the airport on Sunday am.Picking up the car from Hertz will ask if we can leave the car at a depot closer to Perlach.

Thanks again

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
12,066 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quickest route to Munich central station?

It makes little difference which route you take. For your info (although you have a Vignette) no Vignette is required on the A12 if you join/leave at Kufstein Süd. A Vignette (for cars) is not required between Kiefersfelden and Kufstein Süd.

I would go with a similar route to Treplow but go past Ellmau and join the A12 at Kufstein Süd or just as easy go up to Sankt Martin bei Lofer and head over to Kössen and join the A93 at Oberaudorf.

Heading straight up and joining the A8 Salzburger autobahn would be my last choice. They always seem to big digging up some stretch of the road between Rosenheim and Siegsdorf and this area seem to have more than its fair share of accidents

Hertz return

Why do you wish to return the car early. Where exactly are you staying in Perlach.I live near Perlach. The Hertz office is in Neuperlach near Siemens. Depending on EXACTLY where you are staying will depend how easy/hard it is to get back from the Hertz office. If you are staying at the Mercure Hotel München Neuperlach or the Golden Leaf Neuperlach it is not too far a walk. The office closes at 1200 on Saturday.

Simply drive down the Otto-hahn-Ring off the Carl Wery strasse(Siemens "Lego" red-blue-white building on your right) after ~ 250m you will come to the Siemens main entrance on your right just after the taxi rank. The building here is white with on the ground floor yellow facia and pavilion walk way. Just drive in and the office is on the left.

If staying in the Mercure the Otto-hahn ring is directly across the main road and it is only ~ 300m to the Hertz office.

Neuperlach Süd U-Bahn about 600m

Golden Leaf ~ 1km

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quickest route to Munich central station?

We are staying in Haidhausen but considered the previous posting that we may be better to leave the car on the outskirts as we approach Munich. We pick the car up at 9.30 at the central station, have it for 15 days and return before 9.30

However, have discovered that having booked to pick up and leave back the car at the main station, we would be penalised should we decide to change the booking.

Will leave Maria Alm early on Saturday morning and travel, as suggested, via Kuftstein.

Thanks for your help.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Quickest route to Munich central station?

Take a look at giftzwerg's suggestions. Especially since you have a vignette, they are also viable. I agree with him that in that case you should stay on the 312 to Kufstein.

He knows Munich well. My "specialty" is more the area from the Chiemsee, south.

I don't think that the Koessen, Oberau route will save you much time on a Saturday morning. Dutring the week, the B-312 is more heavily travelled and in that case you might save a few minutes. .

Bon Voyage!

Saratoga, California
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Quickest route to Munich central station?

We need find a way from Maria Alm to Munich, we will fly to Salzburg and will rent a car to Maria Alm for a week, after that we are going to Munich for three days. What is best way to Munich, drive from Maria Alm or return car at Salzburg and take bus/train to Munich.

Bad Ischl, Austria
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quickest route to Munich central station?

You don't say if you are returning to Salzburg after Munich. If not then your hire company will charge a huge surcharge for dropping the car in another country (Munich) if they allow it at all.

Edited: 6:28 pm, June 24, 2014
Saratoga, California
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Quickest route to Munich central station?

Thank you very much for this alert.

9. Re: Quickest route to Munich central station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, May 22, 2017