We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family trip to malta

Which Saint Julian's hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ireland
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
family trip to malta

am thinking of taking my family--- husband 8 year old boy and 14 year daughter to malta in mid feb.

what kind of weather should we expect.

I dont know much about Maltas geography except that it is very rich in history , my grand father was a Knight of Malta so I was always interested in visiting which I now hope to do.

We would like a nice hotel, pools etc, though dont want to be fleeced--- of course.

Your suggestions and advice is very welcome

London, United...
Level Contributor
941 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: family trip to malta

Do not expect to go to the beach in February! January and February are the coldest months of the year in Malta, though should you stay for a week, most probably you will have some sunny days as well! Temperature will be around 15 C daytime and 8C nightime. There are lot of hotels which you can choose from: Radisson, Corinthia, Westin, Intercontinental, etc. But i suggest you may also check out prices for farmhouses especially if you are intending to visit Gozo. Quite some nice hotels in Gozo as well like Kempinski, Ta Cenc, Calypso and Grand Hotel, but we go for self-catering farmhouses which are very nice! We always book with the same owners, therefor we get very good deals also.

Malta
Level Contributor
12 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: family trip to malta

Carnival is on in February(17-20 feb), and thats very nice, maybe you will be here then? Heres a site with lots of info

http://www.visitmalta.com/

London, United...
Level Contributor
941 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: family trip to malta

yest, carnival is being celebrated on the weekend of 17 18 Feb. Carnival is very popular in Malta and Gozo, especially in the locality of Nadur in Gozo, which was voted the European Carnival City back 2 years ago! And this is a different carnival from the ones we re used to visit....a very spontaneous one!

Taunton
Level Contributor
252 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: family trip to malta

Hello

Malta is great in February.

There is such amazing history, great people, good food etc.

We have been as a family several times.

The weather is likely to very changeable. At best it will be warm enough during the day to just wear T shirts. Can be very windy though and also quite cold at night.

As for Hotels, I would suggest St Julians as a good place to stay. We normally stay at the Intercontinental although we have also stayed at the Hilton, Westin and the Radisson.

The Inter is great as they will if you phone them direct do deals. I would spend a few pounds on phoning all of the above and also the new Meridien in St Julians. Whatever they offer you push for more - a suite, breakfast thrown in, Club Rooms, low cost rooms for the kids (or whatever).

The best deals are generally had at the Inter. Always ask for club rooms here.

There is also a mall across the road with a Hard Rock Cafe and plenty more.

The carnival in Valleta is excellent fun and really worthwhile.

Anything else that you need to know just ask.

Malta
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: family trip to malta

I suggest that you find a good, 4 star hotel in st. Julians or Sliema. Areas like mellieha, qawra, bugibba can be a bit too 'cold' and 'empty' in feb. Swimming is out of the question and the weather ranges between 10 and 15 degrees celcius. There are plenty of hotels to choose from but I would avoid 2 or 3 star hotels. Have a look on choosemalta.com for in depth info on things to do, where to stay etc

Malta
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: family trip to malta

Coming to Malta during the low season is great advantage. The weather is still nice on most of the days and you will be saving a lot of money.

I would search for the 5 star hotels in St Julians, which are centrally located yet not noisy, with all facilities, and most importantly cosy for the winter

Best of luck

Malta Europe
Level Contributor
453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: family trip to malta

Weather get some waterproof fleeces but you might need to peel them off .

Fleecing - the best Value hotels are the 4* of course...

8. Re: family trip to malta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, August 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Saint Julian's