We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

xmas new year in malta

ireland
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
xmas new year in malta

staying in malta for 2 weeks at xmas flight has been changed so must re book hotel have never seen so many bad reviews for hotels anywhere in world could any one reccomend a nice hotel in st julians area helpppppppppppppppppppppppp

london
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: xmas new year in malta

The best hotels in St.Julians are the Hilton and the new Phoenicia. There are others like the Cavallieri Hotel and the Hotel Juliani. True, there are some awful hotels in Malta, but you do get what you pay for. Tour operators pay pittance for the hotel rooms and then they charge the traveller much more. A four star hotel (and in a way four starts in Malta is more like three stars or even two stars anywhere else in Europe) gets paid LM3-4 per night half board by the tour operators. You pay about LM20-40.

Try booking direct with the hotels. At that time of the year you should be able to get some great deals. Call up, ask, haggle. It would be worth the cost of the phone call.

Malta Europe
Level Contributor
453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: xmas new year in malta

Dinospino was right about prices, and this is relevant in order to understand why people complain. The customer pays so much and expects accordingly while the hotel gets paid little and binds itself to provide accordingly. But to haggle aroung Xmas / New Year might be futile as this is when rates shoot up BECAUSE demand shoots up.

Try the Radisson SAS, Meridien, Corinthia St George, Corinthia Marina, Westin and Hilton - all 5*.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: xmas new year in malta

Hi There,

I am also going to be in St Julians for Christmas (and my wedding!)

I will also have family staying in a hotel in St Pauls over Christmas and we would like to meet up on Christmas EVe and Day. Is it possible to get taxi's on Christmas Eve and Day - and would they cost the earth?

WE haven't booked christmas eve/day meals yet as we really wanted to eat in the evening on Christmas Day and not at lunchtime. Can you recommend any good restaurants that will be open. I believe a lot of the Island closes down for the holidays - will there be much open on Christmas EVe and Day? Bars, pubs, restaurants etc?

I'd appreciate your comments, many thanks.

Malta Europe
Level Contributor
453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: xmas new year in malta

Xmas Day and New Year's day : restaurants operate to overcapacity. PRE-BOOK !!!! Taxis will run but will be busier as people are urged not to Drink and Drive. Public bus service stops for some 3 hours lunchtime.

London
Level Contributor
92 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: xmas new year in malta

I've just got back from Malta (my first time) and I would throughly recommend Hotel Juliani, in St Julians (Spinola Bay). I've just submitted a review, which should be up in a couple of days, but it really was a fantastic hotel, no real faults at all!

I booked it on otel.com for a cheap deal, if they aren't booked up already try and get a sea view room.

Leeds
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: xmas new year in malta

Well we spent Xmas in malta last year , and it was the worst one we have ever had .Everthing is closed on Xmas Day , so we stayed in the hotel , whose amenities apart from breakfast were also closed .Stay well clear of Malta at Xmas .The only way to get a good hotel in Malta whatever time of the year is to pay a lot of money ,otherwise you certainly will be disappointed .

Clitheroe, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: xmas new year in malta

It all depends what you want to spend .I am a maltese person .So i think i Know the island quite well . this is my e.mail . sandracaruana@hotmail.com .see what you really like ex night life ?quiet hotel ?big branded hotel and with my kmoledge i can help you out

sandra

Sliema, Malta
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: xmas new year in malta

In malta try the 5 star ones if you want a really good service.

here are some

Phoenicia (ive been there dining for my bday , and its rated the best restaurant in malta 2007)

Meredien of st julians-

Radisson SAS St Julians

Radisson Golden sands (i have been here too for my bf bday and it was great)

Hilton (very pricy but excellent hotel)..i have been therre too.

Though these are 5 stars, compared to other countries, hotels are rather non expensive

sliema
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: xmas new year in malta

hi its lou lou why not try a host family sometimes they are very good value for mones good food and central louise petit@onvol.net

Sliema, Malta
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: xmas new year in malta

From my personal experience I recommend

1 Hilton (very expensive but awesome experience)

2 Golden sands (very nice hotel but off the beaten track...good if you rent a car)

3 Meredien ..st julians area

Get answers to your questions about Saint Julian's