We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Juliani or Cavalieri????

Which Saint Julian's hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Juliani or Cavalieri????

My wife and I (50's) along with my mother-in-law (71) hope to visit Malta in June and one of our stipulations is a sea view from our hotel balcony. After reading reviews these two hotels seem very nice with great views. which one should we plump for? We want to be near to Sliema as mother-in-law hs previously visited and liked it but the hotels in St.Juliens seem to get better reviews? We want to get out and about and visit places so need to be near bus stops etc and boats...... any help will be appreciated.

Manchester
Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Juliani or Cavalieri????

Take a sea view at the Juliani - great views and rooftop pool - bus stop right outside hotel - also houses my favourite restaurant in Malta 'Zest'. I'm sure you will enjoy.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Juliani or Cavalieri????

I agree with Shembo on this one. The Juliani is far superior to the Cavaleri and the location better for an easy commute to Sliema. Make sure that you request a sea view room since the back facing rooms do not have good views.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Juliani or Cavalieri????

Agree with both the above. Juliani is a beautiful small hotel with the fantastic zest on site.

Like trip said, you must get a sea view. They are to die for and the balconies are a great size.

On the other hand the cavieleri has got the worst staff I have ever come across in Malta.

Almost all of them are pig ignorant with guests and they have a tendency to over book the hotel on a regular basis then shove guests into their sister hotel the golden tulip vivaldi .

This didn't happen to us so I don't have a personal gripe and an axe to grind about that but I almost never say anything bad about malta or it's people who are fantastically friendly but I certainly won't be going back to the cavieleri.

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Juliani or Cavalieri????

Thanks people for your resposes. The restaurant in the Juliani is this open to non-residents?

Manchester
Level Contributor
682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Juliani or Cavalieri????

Sure is, can be accessed by staircase from the street.

Edited: 7:26 am, January 17, 2014
Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Juliani or Cavalieri????

Thanks shembo, it looks like it may be ok for my wife and I but mother-in-law not really so I suppose there are lots of eating places nearby if we just go B&B?(usually we always go halfboard as hotels usually buffet with a variety of food but not much point if this is the only restaurant in the hotel) do they have the breakfast served in the same restaurant or I noticed there is a cafe also attached so is it in there do you know? sorry bombarding you with questions !! I need to make the right choice for all 3 of us!!!

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Juliani or Cavalieri????

Breakfast is served in the area behind the cafe on the ground floor and is very nice with fresh orange juice and nice Italian coffees (or tea of course). Zest is on the 1stfloor and is large taking up the whole floor. In the daytime you can also get snacks from the pool bar on the roof. B&b is a good basis because there are a lot of restaurants in the direct vicinity and it is nice to be able to order from the full menu when you visit Zest which is also a favourite of mine.

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Juliani or Cavalieri????

Have been reading other posts and St. Julians sounds like the resort for us the only thing that concerns us is paceville and the thought of stag do's etc... We really dont want to be in the middle of the kind of drunken behaviour that is destroying decent holiday resorts. When we visited Ibiza we deliberately avoided this by staying in Santa Eulalia and not San Antonio!! How bad is paceville around the end of June and does it spill over into other parts of St Julians?

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Juliani or Cavalieri????

The Juliani is well away from the Paceville area and you should not have any problems. It is in a pleasant area with some nice restaurants overlooking the Bay accross the road and around the corner from the upmarket Portomaso Marina complex which houses some more nice restaurants.

I don't think that some posts give a true reflection of Paceville where I have never encountered drunken bahaviour or stag parties, admittedly I am never there at 2AM. It is a relatively small part of St Julians with a couple of clubs and some lively bars many of which are quite pleasant for a after dinner drink and people watching. It is nothing like Ibiza and in comparison very low key. Also very easy to avoid.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Juliani or Cavalieri????

Paceville's as wild as it gets in Malta but on a scale of 1 - 10 where Ibiza is 8, Paceville's about 4. And the Juliani's well away from it anyway. If you can get a sea view roo in the Juliani go for it.

Get answers to your questions about Saint Julian's