We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best bars/cafes in St Julian's

Dublin
Level Contributor
170 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Best bars/cafes in St Julian's

Just wondering if anyone knows of any nice cafe bar/restaurants round the area to lounge around for a coffee/lunch during the day. Also good bars and clubs at night. For about a thirty something group.

We are still trying to figure out where to stay as we want to be near the activity but not right in the centre of Paceville. We have shortlisted hotels to Le Meriden, Argento, Juliani, Cavalieri they all look lovely it's hard to choose.

Any other tips re transport, where to go would be appreciated. I heard you can do a day trip to Siciliy which would be lovely but to be honest I red it can be rushed, up very early spending a lot of time on the bus and it's expensive. We are there for a week but I think it might be better to comfortably travel around Malta and see Sicily maybe when I am in southern Italy sometime?

St. Paul's Bay...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
301 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best bars/cafes in St Julian's

the area around balluta square is one of the most interesting (where le Meridien) is located. There are several cafes/bars there. For clubs you need to go to Paceville which is still within walking distance. As a hotel, from the ones mentioned personally I prefer Hotel Juliani (closer to Paceville, so the area can be more noisy however)

Virtu ferries does day tours to Sicily...They leave at about 7am from the Grand harbour in Valletta and return at about 11pm back to the Grand harbour.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,421 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best bars/cafes in St Julian's

All the hotels you mentioned are ideal or as I like doing get an apartement then you can go out or stay in for lunch or dinner if you want also you can load up your fridge with cheap beer and nice Maltese wine.In St Julians you have the Dubliner not a bad Irish pub with decent food and all around Spinola Bay you have great restaurants and cafes.In st Julians you have Peperoncino my favourite or Barracudas bit more expensive than the others.

Paceville has lots of pubs and clubs and the bus ticket for the week is €12 and you can travel anywhere on the island with it.

I woudent bother going to Sicily ferry crossing takes about 2 hours and if you want to go to Palermo about another 3-4 travelling would be better with an overnight or on another trip.

Gozo and Camino are nice handy day trips across on the ferry 30 mins to Gozo cost about €5 and if you want the ho/ho bus get it on the malta side usually cheaper.

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
273 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best bars/cafes in St Julian's

The meridian may be slightly too far out of the action if you intend to enjoy the night life around Paceville and St Julian's bay if some in your party do not enjoy a bit of walking. The others are perfectly located far enough out of Paceville to avoid the noise but close enough to be there in 5 minutes if you so desire. My favourite lunch spots are Gululu (probably the best location in St Julian's) http://gululu.com.mt/ and Dick's Bar (cheap and cheerful but good quality) dicksbar.drupalgardens.com/content/home

Both places have plenty of outside seating to watch the world go by. You might also fancy Portomaso Cafe for great coffee and cake themarinarestaurants.com/outlets/Caff%C3%A8P…

If you're looking to try something local try Mr Maxims pastizeria for some cheese or pea passtizzis or wuddys and sit in Spinola gardens while you eat!

For bars at night try the sun in splendour at Spinola Gardens for live music, karaoke and live sports. Krispy Cafe bar is also good and has a pool table and free wifi although it's a little harder to find on Triq Dobbie. The Crow's Nest next to Dick's Bar does the best cocktails in St Julians. Hope this helps. You'll enjoy Malta no matter where you eat!

4. Re: Best bars/cafes in St Julian's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 22, 2014