We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things I wish I had known...

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
104 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Things I wish I had known...

I wanted to give some info to people thinking of going to the St. Julians area. If you have anything to add that might help people, please post it.

1. I wish I had found a bus schedule. We waited in Mosta for over an hour for the 65 to take us back to St. Julians. Our Holiday Malta tour rep said the buses run every 15 minutes. He was very wrong.

2. The 66 bus will take you from St. Julians to Valetta.

3. A 24 hour bus pass is 3E's per person.

4. There is a Hard Rock Cafe in the Baypoint (i think that is the name) shopping area.

5. There is a TGI Fridays located between St.Julians and Valetta.

6. At the Radisson Bay Point the fan/AC/Heater does not work when the balcony door is open. We did not know why it was not working and we were SO hot at night.

7. The Maravosin wines (locally made) are really good but pack a punch. The one we had and really liked was a red wine that was 12.9% by volume. One bottle did us in.

8. Traffic is crazy. We almost were hit by cars several times. They did not care that people were in the road. So move with a purpose.

9. If you need a map or travel books you can find them at the airport, gift shops at hotels and then also at stores downtown.

10. Some of the best nightlife can be found on or by the stairs leading from Paceville to St.Julians.

11. Paceville is pronounced PaCHville.

more to follow....

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,188 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Things I wish I had known...

agree with Danny . i don't think anyone was critisizing , simply adding on to your post . for instance i find it a good point that the air conditioning issue doesn't apply to the mentioned hotel only , but is indeed a common feature and if in doubt , before suffering through a whole night .. a quick call to reception might solve the problem in minutes.

also relying on a tour rep for local info seldom seems to be a good idea . i really just wanted to point that out because i see it happening all the time and the common theme appears to be that they will give you an answer - any answer, so that they look knowledgeable and you get out of their hair. but in my experience , local questions are best asked to locals , hotel issues best settled with the hotel directly , etc. i know the occasional true gem of a tour rep exists and he/she can be a marvel of local experience and helpfulness ... but in the real world , those gems are far outnumbered by recent college grads doing a cheap few months abroad

and chances are that they have been on location about exactly 2 weeks longer than the just arrived tourist they represent.

to make a long story short .. there are lessons to be learned from all and any experience and our comments are not meant to critique but simply to embellish

Craigavon, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Things I wish I had known...

All the info you are sharing can be found on the net without too much bother.

I suggest that if you go to Malta again - hire a car instead of bussing it everywhere - unless you feel the need to run around during the day intoxicated.

Also if a 12.9% bottle of wine shared by two wrecks you then give it up and stick to non alcoholic drinks.

Finaly - previous posters were only adding their own information - dry your eyes . . .

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Things I wish I had known...

Wow!! Now THAT was a harsh reply.

You say that these things can be found on the internet.

What platform is this forum on then?

Those of us that have been around here for a few years have heard a lot of the questions over and over but that doesn't mean we just type in "Look it up".

I like to think that we have one of the friendliest forums on TripAdvisor and would prefer to keep it that way. I do visit others where people are constantly back-biting and having postings removed just because they disagree with someones point of view. We are here to help and add where we can just so people enjoy their trip it was certainly not meant as a critisism.

Keep on posting.

Bucharest
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Things I wish I had known...

Agree with scubapro!

And, IMHO, advising someone coming from "the other side of Europe" (the one that drive on the right side of the road) to hire a car in Malta will not increase security on the roads. I nearly escaped death several times, in Malta and the UK, just because my reflex is to look the other side of the road when crossing! If it was not for the very careful drivers, I would have been badly hurt!

This could - may be - explain why some people perceive drivers in Malta as dangerous and some not!

Craigavon, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Things I wish I had known...

scubo

maybe it was a harsh reply - it was not my intention to cause annoyance but to simply highlight that (as you say) 'people post to add info that may be helpful' to fellow travellers - not to assinate other peoples views.

Chrisjon seems to like to give info - some quite relevant - but when someone adds more relevant info ie air conditioning not working when balcony doors open - and common sense things like visiting the Hardrock Cafe, which he dosen't even recommend (don't balme him either) - doesen't like it and can't accept that some one else has more informative info - quote 'point of my post is completely lost in people telling me about all the reasons I am wrong' No one was saying he was wrong.

You are right scubo - this is a friendly forum - i also find your postings informative and entertaining - keep the good work up.

Lastly - advise to you chemical woman is to look both ways before you cross any road in any country - don't trust your reflex! Better to be alive! Safe travels.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Things I wish I had known...

Glad we're all getting on again LMAO.

American in UK
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Things I wish I had known...

Hi there

I am relatively new to this forum and heading out for Malta in 11 more days. I have never been before so I found this post and subsequent ones helpful. Just wanted to add that and say thanks to everyone

Sherrie

deepest essex
Level Contributor
187 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Things I wish I had known...

chriejon2003 i posted a very similar comment about crossing the road on pedestrian crossings in st julians and boy was i shot down by some, i 100% agree with you when my wife is in the middle of the road and has to jump out the path of on coming cars who think you shuold not be there(not all car drivers for those cocking there weapons)

19. Re: Things I wish I had known...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, September 25, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Saint Julian's