We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sail boat tours?

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
104 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Sail boat tours?

We are looking into some of the sail boat tour packages around the island. Both offer time on the beach and food. I think the ship is the Hera. Has anyone used them before and what did you think?

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sail boat tours?

I've heard that Hera cruises are ok although I don't know how much "sailing" they actually do.

I think it's a sedate trip around the island. I don't know where the swim stop is but think it maybe at the Blue Lagoon in Comino in which case 2 birds with one stone.

As I say I don't know what it's actually like but heard it's much better than the "Captain Morgan" cruises. DON'T BOOK VIA A HOLIDAY REP. there are plenty of offices selling tours much cheaper than reps.

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
104 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sail boat tours?

I found the information on choosemalta.com

It is called Cruise - Round Malta 360 and it is 55 euros. I am not sure if we can get it cheaper there. I still need to research more about the boat itself. That might give me more info. The Blue Lagoon is where they stop. They offer swimming, snokeling w/ their gear and a buffet lunch of some type. Then another cruise around the islands to see the Popeye film set.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sail boat tours?

That's not too bad for all in.

The Blue Lagoon is very nice for swimming even though a lot of the "beach" is rocky. The sea is very nice there. Not a lot to see snorkelling there unless you head over to the rocks and with good breath hold techniques some pretty good stuff to see but you do need to be pretty good at free diving.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sail boat tours?

Hi, first of all what time of the year are you going to be in Malta? The Hera cruises run from March to November and the price of 55 euros is for March - far too cold for swimming and the weather is really not good enough yet. I would imagine that the prices would be more in the summer - something to check out - and you might be able to get this cheaper once in Malta (though might be busy in summer). Just check it out

uk
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
1,951 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sail boat tours?

they are part of captain morgan cruises but this particular boat look like a very large old sailing vessel. have a look on their website.

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
104 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sail boat tours?

We are headed that way in 5 days. I guess it is too cold for a boat outing. Not sure what else we could do.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sail boat tours?

What sort of things do you like doing. Malta has a lot of history so there is plenty to see and do, lots of old churches, museums, old walled city of Mdina. Valletta, the capital, has a lot to see and do too, old Lascaris war rooms, upper Barrakka gardens with fantastic views over the Harbour, armourery, St John's Co Cathedral and just walking around the city soaking in the atmosphere, sit at a cafe and watch the world go by.

Day trip to Gozo, visit Mosta church - 3rd largest unsupported dome and during the war a bomb fell through the roof but didn't explode - no one was hurt! Visit fishing village of Marsaxlokk, visit the three cities on the other side of the harbour to Valletta.

I could go on and on - 5 days isn't enough really. It just depends on what you want to do. Where are you staying?

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
104 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sail boat tours?

We are staying at the Radission Bay Point...and we are only there Fri-Mon. Friday we are just going to relax...plus we do not get there too early. Saturday we plan on seeing the Mosta, Mdina and maybe some other places. Sunday we might still do a boat cruise of some sorta. I imagine there will be other people interested in the 360 tour also...we will just pass on the swimming if it is too chilly. I am sure we will find plenty to do. Mainly we just wanted to get away from the terrible weather in Germany. It is cold and rainy :) I just hope Malta is warmer.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sail boat tours?

Should definitely be warmer than Germany. If you decide not to do the full sail boat tour you could try to do a harbour cruise which you take from Sliema - the Ferries area where all the shops are. It's a lovely little boat trip and you get to see all the harbour area - Valletta, Sliema, Vittoriosa, Senglea, Cospicua, Marsa - but obviously all from the sea. It doesn't take very long though so it's nothing like a full day trip, maybe an hour or just over that.

Mdina is definitely worth seeing. Try to fit Valletta in too. Hope you have a good time

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sail boat tours?

We are looking at doing the "three island cruise tour" offered through malta247 - has anyone done this tour and if so, any info would be appreciated

Bev

Get answers to your questions about Saint Julian's
Recent Conversations