We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

X2 bus

UK
Level Contributor
967 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
X2 bus

My research suggests that I can get the x2 bus from the airport to st Julian's , it runs every hour, takes about an hour , stops very close to George hotel (Ross ?) and costs €1.50. Is that correct ? Sounds too good to be true ?

Ole

34 replies to this topic
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: X2 bus

Sounds right to me - I think you could also get off at St Julian stop.

Buses stop about 11PM if your flight arrives late at night. Check timetables.

Might be worth getting a 7 day or multiple journey card if you will use further buses during your stay, you should be able to buy at the airport.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
871 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: X2 bus

That's correct. I think the X stands for "Express" but in fact it's a long tortuous route via Paola, Marsa Park & Ride, Mater Dei hospital etc. But it will get you there in the end! (I reckon at least an hour - we used the same bus a couple of weeks ago)

When you come out into the arrivals area at the airport, go straight ahead and leave the airport building, then turn right and you'll see the bus stops.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,784 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: X2 bus

https:/…bus-timetable-library

Link to timetables,according to timetable it takes 38 minutes,to get to st julian's,there optimistic there never known it only take less than 40 minutes your correct its closer to an hour,but they do stop at 11pm but start 6am.

Eileen

Edited: 4:52 pm, November 15, 2016
UK
Level Contributor
967 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: X2 bus

Many thanks

Ole

UK
Level Contributor
967 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: X2 bus

Thanks guys , took about 55 mins from the airport but a whopping 1 hr 20 going back to the airport this morning and was indeed tortuous (thanks for the warning Willie).

Just as well that's the express bus !

Ole

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,784 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: X2 bus

The Maltese dont know the meaning of express I'm afraid,I take it you enjoyed your Stay in Malta.

Eileen

UK
Level Contributor
967 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: X2 bus

Found it all a bit strange really , never been anywhere quite like it, it wasn't quite as I expected which threw me for a couple of days .

The most surprising thing was how busy it was , can't imagine what it must be like in summer ?

I think I'm curious enough to give it another go though . Next time I will read up a bit more on the history.

Ole

hampshire_UK
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: X2 bus

A tip for the X2 - at busy times -- especially morning rush hour, it can save time getting off the X2 at Marsa Park and Ride, and change to the X4 that runs every 20 minutes (make sure it is headed to the airport and not Valletta). The X2 often gets badly delayed by traffic between Marsa and Paola, whereas the X4 goes direct to the airport.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,784 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: X2 bus

Ole,not sure what you found strange about it,maybe it was it is on the Mediterranean so you expected it too be like other Mediterranean countries with the white washed building's rather than sandstone,and its also very British in parts,Malta has a very mixed culture because over the years its being under the rule of so many nations,that's why it has a north African ie Moorish look to its buildings ie the sandstone rather than Mediterranean white,and why you see the old red telephone boxes in some places and most signs in British and Maltese,and of course the Italian influence on its food,as well as British,but then you have the more modern buildings which are more British overall,there's a lot of Maltese heritage there also like its food a lot of rabbit eaten,Maltese sausage and cheese platters,patizzi,then there's the fish that's eaten a lot,Maltese folk music,yes it is a mix which makes its different from other countries but too me that makes it more interesting.

Malta is an year round destination so even in winter its fairly busy a lot of Brits do long stays there in winter months,Italians visit it all year round also as its so close.

I'm glad its intrigued you eneugh to think about a second visit because its 7000 years of history is definitely worth exploring,and heritage sites worth exploring,and make sure you take the Time to explore its WW2 history because it played a massive part in that,was awarded the George cross as an island for its bravery,it was the most bombed place on earth during it,and the hardship the Maltese people went through and still managed to fight the Germans off,is unbelievable really for such a tiny island,just proves how brave and strong the Maltese people were and are.

UK
Level Contributor
967 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: X2 bus

Yorkie,

I think you make lots of good points there , the square sandstone buildings I found quite incessant and uninteresting and the other more modern buildings were also bland. So that was my initial impression, plus the busy traffic , and so with only a 4 day stay that took some time to get over but it did grow on me .

We did vistit st Elmo and medina (with the knights museum thing) so I get a bit of the history and that does make a massive difference . So it's a WIP for me still and so I will return I think .

Btw one thing I forgot to mention was that I really loved the Cisk 🍻

Ole

Reply to: X2 bus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Saint Julian's