We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girls trip to Central Oregon in Aug

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Girls trip to Central Oregon in Aug

3 ladies flying into Portland and driving to central Oregon for a few days of hiking and relaxing. We have no definite plans yet -even where to stay, but have read about 5 Pines, which looks nice. What would you recommend for the best hikes? We can do moderate intensity. Not sure whether we should stay in Bend, Sisters....? We are limited to a few days there, so want to maximize our time with a couple awesome hikes and maybe a little souvenir shopping and good eats/drinks. Thanks for any suggestions!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girls trip to Central Oregon in Aug

I've heard that Five Pines is nice, if not a little spendy for what it is. There isn't much close by - Sisters is a short drive or long walk away from the resort. Sisters would be perhaps quieter and more laid back, but you will have more dining and shopping options in Bend.

From Sisters, I suggest the Tam McArthur Rim hike which starts at Three Creek Lake (portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Tam_McArth…). It's a pretty popular trail but quite scenic. I haven't hiked out there since the Pole Creek wildfire so I am not sure if it affected any of the trail path or views. You could also go out to the Metolius or up Hwy 242.

From Bend, there are numerous options along Century Drive (Cascade Lakes Highway). The most popular is probably Green Lakes (portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/Green_Lake…). You could also do the first stage of the South Sister "climb" and hike up to Moraine Lake (portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/South_sist…).

Be sure to check with the Forest Service about conditions before you go. You didn't specify when you plan to visit. It's been unusually rainy and cold so trails might not be in great shape yet. Also note that most trailhead parking areas require a NW Forest Pass which can be purchased at trailheads or from outdoor gear shops in the area. Carry plenty of water and provisions with you; the elevation and "dry" nature of the area (despite the rain) are frequently a surprise to visitors.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,801 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girls trip to Central Oregon in Aug

I have stayed at 5 Pines, and the room was wonderful, with a deep, in-room hot tub and a gas fireplace. The setting was lovely. Unfortunately, the hotel dining options are poor at best. There are several good dinner places in Sisters as well as several good bakeries for breakfast, but this otherwise excellent resort needs a first rate restaurant and better breakfast choices on site.

Central Oregon is Heaven on Earth.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girls trip to Central Oregon in Aug

Thanks so much for the suggestions! We now think we will stay at Sisters Motor Lodge while in the area.

Someone I know recommended Crater Lake. Is there hiking there? Also, is there a good place in the Sisters area that we could do some canoeing?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girls trip to Central Oregon in Aug

There's hiking at Crater Lake - but expect at least a 2hr drive (each way) to the parking lot.

You can rent watercraft at many of the lake resorts in the area or in town from Tumalo Creek kayak (for the river). If you want to go to the high lakes OR do a longer river trip there are guide and tour services in Bend (not sure about Sisters). Wanderlust is the one I hear about the most.

5. Re: Girls trip to Central Oregon in Aug

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, May 11, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Central Oregon