We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Ocean Road at a leisurely pace.

Bonogin, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Great Ocean Road at a leisurely pace.

Hi, my wife & I, are in our early 50's, and want to head south, (from the Gold Coast Hinterland), to experience the GOR. We are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and have always wanted to hire a motor home, (a really nice one), and travel the GOR. We will be travelling in mid June and have a total of 7 days, would be great to dedicate about 5 to the GOR, and then finish off with a two night stay in Melbourne. Any advice on the must see spots, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We love holidaying in the cooler climates and have done Tasmania at that time of year so have a good idea of what the colder weather will be like.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Ocean Road at a leisurely pace.

Congratulations!

Firstly, be aware that 9 June is a public holiday, so book ahead anywhere you want to stay/park. There aren't a lot of places you can park away from campgrounds, but if you look hard enough...

I really like Bimbi Park, near the Great Otway NP and Apollo Bay - bush setting with koalas and kookaburras, one hour walk to the beach, or drive down to the southern tip and lighthouse.

Forrest, inland, is nice too.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Ocean Road at a leisurely pace.

If you are not using caravan parks to park your motorhome, you can also try these campgrounds , see Parks Victoria website. http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
6,866 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Ocean Road at a leisurely pace.

Whereabouts are you driving from? If you are flying into Melbourne hiring a campervan and have five nights to do the GOR followed by another two in Melbourne that is fine and certainly doable.

If however you are driving from the Gold Coast in a campervan in the seven days you have then that's really pushing it. You will need at least three days to do the drive to Melbourne from the Gold coast allowing for stops etc.

Another option would be to fly into Melbourne hire a car spend the first night at Geelong perhaps explore the Bellarine and then head down the GOR staying at motels or cabins, taking two or three nights to do the trip more is better if you have the time.

You can do the return trip on the GOR to Warrnambool and visit Port Fairy at the same time, or alternatively you could take the inland route to Port Fairy and return via the GOR.

There are a couple of things to be aware of though as previously mentioned you will have the Queens birthday weekend to contend with and it would be a better idea to pre book accommodation. Plus there is on going road works on the Princess Highway between Waurn Ponds and Colac due to the duplication of the highway. The upgrade works scheduled on the GOR may or may not have started, which will slow you down due to the road work zones.

www.visitvictoria.com.au is a good resource. Also don't hesitate to come back for more info, we will do our best to assist where possible.

Bonogin, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Ocean Road at a leisurely pace.

Thanks Heaps for the info everyone. I should have mentioned that we will fly to Melbourne & then grab a motor-home when we arrive.

uk
Level Contributor
240 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Ocean Road at a leisurely pace.

I did the GOR in March and loved it. My favourite town that we stayed in was Lorne - it is a lovely little coastal town with a few restaurants overlooking the sea. When we stayed they had a sculpture/art exhibition all along the road next to the beach which was nice. We only stayed for one night in a bed and breakfast and wish we had had more time there.

Here is the town's tourist site.

http://www.lovelorne.com.au

These are a couple of places you can stay in your motor-home

lovelorne.com.au/stay/…

exploreaustralia.net.au/Victoria/South-West-…

It is also worth making a stop at the tourist information office in Torquay - they have very friendly, helpful staff and a vast array of free leaflets, maps and advice to give out to inspire you.

Here's a list of all the tourist office en route.

visitgreatoceanroad.org.au/torquay/visitor-i…

Have a great trip.

uk
Level Contributor
240 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Ocean Road at a leisurely pace.

I forgot to mention Mait's Rest Rainforest Walk

A lovely place near Apollo Bay where you can stretch your legs during the journey and enjoy a short but beautiful walk in hopefully peaceful surroundings ( a school group arrived when we did!)

visitmelbourne.com/Regions/Great-Ocean-Road/…

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
770 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Ocean Road at a leisurely pace.

my gf and i also went to the great ocean road just last month and are from the gold coast.

we really enjoyed our time there. i found london bridge, right near 12 apostles awe inspiring.

my favourite town was warrnambool, specially the area down near the harbour where there is a little island you can see the little penguins on if your lucky.

maybe as a special treat for the anniversary take a helicopter flight over 12 apostles, we both loved it. expensive but worth it.

Bonogin, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great Ocean Road at a leisurely pace.

My thanks to all for the terrific replies, unfortunately we had a change of plans and GOR is on hold for at least a few months. But all of this information won't go to waste, thanks everyone for your time & efforts.

9. Re: Great Ocean Road at a leisurely pace.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 16, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Great Ocean Road