We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What direction Adelaide/Melbourne

Save Topic
What direction Adelaide/Melbourne

Hi

Any good advise what direction is the best: Adelaide to Melbourne or Melbourne to Adelaide?

Does it matter from a sightseeing point of view?

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What direction Adelaide/Melbourne

Better for the passenger if you're driving from Melbourne to Adelaide - they get the best view. The driver should be watching the road... ;)

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,441 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What direction Adelaide/Melbourne

I dont think it matters. There are plenty of places to stop and admire the view.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,224 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What direction Adelaide/Melbourne

>>The driver should be watching the road... ;) <<

Yes. That is one of the reasons why you should allow sufficient time, so that the driver can enjoy the opportunities to admire the scenery at the various stops.

How long are you allowing? And how far are you going?

Save Reply
4. Re: What direction Adelaide/Melbourne

Thanks for the reply

We have 7 weeks in Australia (March /April). Plan to spend approx 10 days in this area including Kangoroo Island and the the rest going Sydney to Cains (we will have small kids with us)

How does the plane sound?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,224 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What direction Adelaide/Melbourne

Thanks, I see now. Sometimes people assume they have to go all the way to Adelaide.

Is the 10 days for looking around Melbourne and Adelaide, the drive between the two cities including the GOR and a couple of other stops, and visiting Kangaroo island?

Btw I agree with the explanation in #1 about why Melbourne to Adelaide has an advantage. I've done it in both directions and I don't think it's crucial though, so if it fits into your overall itinerary better to travel from Adelaide to Melbourne then don't worry about it. Just make sure you don't rush the drive, for enjoyment and safety.

Apollo Bay...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What direction Adelaide/Melbourne

Hi there, if you are driving the car yourself, then Melbourne to Adelaide is the best way to go. You will be on the left hand side of the road and the driver and passenger will see much more of the ocean. Also, all the lookouts are on the left and easier to access when traveling in this direction.

Good luck

Michael

Great Ocean Road Auto Tours

7. Re: What direction Adelaide/Melbourne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:22 am, February 01, 2015