We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Ocean Road and Grampian National Park in August

Calgary
Level Contributor
479 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Great Ocean Road and Grampian National Park in August

We have 3 days to explore the Great Ocean Road and maybe include Grampian Park as well. Starting late Tue afternoon in Melbourne and returning to Melbourne by Fri night. Not sure in which towns we should look for accommodations and whether it actually makes sense to include Grampian National Park in winter?

We are a family with 2 teenagers. Would like to do some moderate hiking, i.e. no more than 2-3 hrs.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,578 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Ocean Road and Grampian National Park in August

Can you leave Melbourne any earlier? It will be getting dark by the time you reach the start of the GOR, so I'd suggest staying somewhere like Torquay or Anglesea for the first night.

It depends what sightseeing you want to do as to how many days you take to drive along the GOR & whether the Grampians is an option. Have a look at visitvictoria.com/Regions/Great-Ocean-Road.a… for more info. The sightseeing you do determines the places to stop overnight as you want to avoid backtracking.

What do you want to do & see at the Grampians? If it's hiking, then the weather is the determining factor, but there are other things you can do. Once again, have a look here: www.visitvictoria.com/Regions/Grampians.aspx

If you let us know specifically want you want to do & see over the 3 days, we can help you a bit more.

Calgary
Level Contributor
479 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Ocean Road and Grampian National Park in August

We are flying in from Cairns so we cannot leave any earlier from Melbourne.

We definitely want to see the 12 Apostles, some wildlife like Koalas (Otway?). Natural beauty like waterfalls would be great too. I'd be interested in aboriginal culture/art as well.

Coming from Canada we are not quite sure how the Australian winter affects hiking opportunities. Will trails be too muddy if it's raining or can you do them with the proper rain jacket? Our teens won't have hiking boots, just runners.

Will some restaurants/accommodations in the smaller towns close up during August?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,578 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Ocean Road and Grampian National Park in August

Re the hiking, it depends on how much rain we have had, which is unpredictable. We have had drought conditions for a few years, but the last couple of years have seen a bit more rain & flooding. It just as likely to rain in summer though. If you will just have runners, maybe look at doing a bit of bushwalking if the weather is fine, but plan other activities if it's not.

Re accommodation, there are a couple of great YHA hostels you could look at staying in. Hostels don't suit everyone, but I like that I can cook my own food & meet people from around the world. YHA's aren't party places & they are popular with families & youth groups. There's also a handy guide to driving from Apollo Bay to Halls Gap:

…yha.com.au/Hostels/…

…yha.com.au/Hostels/…

Warrnambool
Level Contributor
116 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Ocean Road and Grampian National Park in August

I would suggest you have a look at the Tower Hill Nature reserve, its on the tripadvisor sit under things to do in Warrnambool. Here you will be able to walk around and quickly see the animals you want in Victoria's first national park - Koalas, emu, kangaroos, lots of birds etc. It is operate by Worn Gundij and they have a nice interpretative centre and do guided indigenious walks etc. There are also some good moderate hikes around the extinct volcano crater.

Take a look at visitwarrnambool.com.au which is the best range of local accommodation in Warrnambool.

The site also has a good car rental site that allows you to check car rental rates across Australia in all the major car rental companies in one search.

There is also whales in Warrnambool through August that can be viewed from the coast on the dedicated whale viewing platform. Check for sightings again on the visitwarrnambool web site.

Hope you enjoy your trip and let me know if I can help you further.

5. Re: Great Ocean Road and Grampian National Park in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 06, 2014