We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route back to Melbourne from GOR

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
351 reviews
Save Topic
Best route back to Melbourne from GOR

I’m after some advice on which is our best route to take back to Melbourne from travelling the Great Ocean Road.

We’re staying overnight in Port Campbell before returning to East Coast Rentals beside the airport to drop the hire car off. The car has to be back for 7pm at the very latest but I’d prefer to be back earlier than that so we can then get to our hotel in Melbourne to dump our luggage before going off and visit the Eureka Skydeck.

Using Google maps, it’s a 3 hour drive to Queenscliff, an hour for the ferry (assuming we get the noon ferry) and then 2 hours by motorway through the Mornington Peninsular. To me it kind of defeats the purpose taking that route (or is it scenic enough?) I feel, so taking a more costal route seems to peg the journey at a minimum of 3 hours. This is all without stops too. Another thing that has me concerned too is that when you read the T&C for the hire car rental, while we can use the ferry, all insurances are voided! Am I just worrying unnecessarily?

Is it worth going this Mornington Peninsular route or should we just head directly back towards Geelong/Melbourne? If it’s the later, is there anywhere someone would suggest stopping on that route to break the journey up a bit.

TIA :)

Aireys Inlet...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route back to Melbourne from GOR

If you have just travelled the GOR East to West and need to get back to Melbourne, I would suggest taking the inland route. You can stop at the Timboon Cheese factory. (Not far from Port Campbell).

There is not a lot else to see apart from dairy country and extinct volcanoes near Colac. This route will still take about 3 hours.

I would hazard a guess of Port Campbell to Melbourne airport via Queenscliff and Mornington would be close to 7 or 8 hours travel. 3-4 hours Port Campbell to Queenscliff. 1 hour to get on and off the ferry. At least 2 hours from Sorrento to Melbourne.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route back to Melbourne from GOR

Thanks for the reply.

Is it worth going to see the volcanoes?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,578 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route back to Melbourne from GOR

I wouldn't worry with driving via the MP if all you are doing is a drive through. The quick way through is a freeway, which isn't scenic, or you can drive along the bay, which makes a nice drive, but is nothing special. Plus ypu then have to get through the city to get to the airport.

Do you have an option to return the car to the city?

I agree with checking out Timboon. There's also a bit of a gourmet trail there, which you should be able to google.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route back to Melbourne from GOR

Thanks for that suggestion, I'll check it out.

At the moment we're due to return it to the airport branch but not sure if we could negotiate a return to a Melbourne city branch instead - it wasn't an option when we booked it initially.

Is it worth a day trip to the MP? We have 1 day where we could shuffle things around and crate a spare day although not sure if many cars would hire for 1 day, well less than a day probably.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,578 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route back to Melbourne from GOR

I often do day trips to the MP, usually with a visit to the Hot Springs, Heronswood & a winery or 2. It does depend on your interests what you will do down then & if it's worth it for you though.

You would want to rent the car for the full 24 hour period rather than rushing back to return it by 6pm. It should be a relaxing day :)

diggers.com.au/gardens-and-cafes/gardens/her…

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route back to Melbourne from GOR

Its just getting it parked overnight is the problem - the hotel charges a fortune for parking!

We're planning on doing a wine tour to the Yarra Valley - should we reconsider and do the MP instead?

Thanks for that link, I'll go check it out. :)

7. Re: Best route back to Melbourne from GOR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Great Ocean Road