We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit in April

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Geilo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
146 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Visit in April

Hi we are thinking of visiting Geilo in April. My husband wants to ski (some experience but a beginner really) and my four year old and I want to ice skate and go on a husky ride (I have a husky obsessed child).

Is Geilo suitable ? Also other than in cities (Denmark and Sweeden) I've never done a snow holiday before so any tips appreciated.

Thanks

Claire

12 replies to this topic
Manchester, England
Level Contributor
5 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Visit in April

As stated above Geilo is a very good ski resort from November through until mid April. The earlier you book in April the better the conditions are likely to be.

Here you will find details on access from various locations geilo.no/en/…. The train journey from Oslo or Bergen is known as one of the most beautiful in the world. If you get the train look out for the Special Pris fares, great value.

There are two sides of the valley in Geilo. They are connected by a ski bus that runs a few times a day...if you miss it there are cheap ski taxis available as its a bit of a walk. The side your accommodation is on is the side you will spend most of your time on so choose wisely. I like the Slaatta (http://slaattaskisenter.no/__4/) and Geilo Heisen side as it offers a bigger area and more options and its more personable. It also gets more sunshine earlier in the season which is great on the colder days.

Oh and the Husky sled ride is a great experience, just make sure you wrap up warm.

London
Level Contributor
146 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Visit in April

Thank you for all the helpful messages. We are thinking that next Feb is more realistic for us ... give us all time to learn to ski !! Thank you for this - its excellent advice. I am looking forward to planning it all.

Reply to: Visit in April
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Geilo