We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

geilo norway skiing

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Geilo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
geilo norway skiing

hi all, been looking around for a ski trip for 2012 for 1 week for 4 of us,end of jan early feb apparently good quiet time to go managed to find some good deals of self catering chalets..very close to everything......my only concern is the weekly shop.does anyone know if it it ludicrously priced???or is it just like the same prices as over here in the uk???all i seem to hear is everything is expensive???im quite happy to go back to the chalet for lunch etc.....im not fussed about eating out???if anyone can let me know id appreciate it very much...

6 replies to this topic
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
74 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: geilo norway skiing

A 2010 survey showed that Norwegian groceries cost 54 % more than the EU average, and about 52 % more than in England: pricewiki.com/blog/…

Dairy products and meat are especially more expensive, but remember that you usually have a decent range of products and prices, giving you the opportunity to make less expensive choices if you want to save a bit of money.

Most grocery stores also have the weekly bargain papers by the entrance, so look out for those as well if you're on a budget.

Eating and especially drinking in can save you a good deal of money. Remember that alcohol and tobacco is very heavily taxed in Norway; the average for these products are more than 130 % higher than EU average.

portsmouth
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: geilo norway skiing

Hi, Norway is expensive for food. Got back from Norefjell ski resort on the 2nd of Jan and i would say that we spent about £150.00 on a food shop which back here would of cost about £60/ £70. We took alot of food in our case like Tea, Biscuits, Packet Soup, Chilli con carne mix ,rice , part baked bread,etc etc so we had to buy fresh products and drinks out there .We also have stayed at Geilo about 6 years ago and are looking to go there again Feb 2012. Any more info if i can help just ask!! Tracy

Liverpool, England...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: geilo norway skiing

Hi!!!

Is it convenient to book skiing arrangement in geilo?? I am going there for holidays but have no idea about ski schedule :-p

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
22,166 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: geilo norway skiing

Schedule ???

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
9,153 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: geilo norway skiing

Just book accommodation and perhaps skiing lessons in advance. Lift passes and rental gear can be arranged on the day.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: geilo norway skiing

Also worth noting that the exchange rate between the UK and Norway has changed dramatically in favour of UK currency in the last couple of months, so for UK visitors things in Norway are now at least 10% cheaper than they were. Any historic comments on prices will be based on an exchange rate of around GBP1 = NOK10 or even as low as NOK9 if you go back a year or so. It is now GBP1 = NOK11.5.

Reply to: geilo norway skiing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Geilo