We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 19th March - 23rd March

Lancashire
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 19th March - 23rd March

This was our second trip to DLP, our first was last March, and for both trips I've got so much useful info from this forum and really enjoyed reading trip reports, so I thought I'd post my own.

I booked this trip last August on the 2 nights free offer and got (I think) a brilliant deal for the Disneyland hotel. We stayed at the New York last year but after a lovely meal in Inventions I really wanted to stay in the Disneyland hotel. Booked the hotel with avios and used a combination of avios and cash to pay. Booked flights separately with airfrance.

Travellers: me (A), huge DLP fan after last trip.

Other half (W), also surprised DLP fan after last trip.

Daughter age 7 (P), so over dressing up and princesses, but mini-thrill seeker and secretly still loves all the characters.

Daughter age 4 (M), full-on princess/all things disney fan.

My mum (J), took me to DW florida when I was a teenager and wanted to live in the

castle! (my lovely mum also helped us to pay for this trip).

Mum's husband (P) completely new to all things disney.

My mum and P joined us on our second day and this was a surprise for our girls.

Day 1

It felt like the longest wait for this holiday and I was so so excited when my alarm went off at 5.20am that I didn't even feel a teensy bit tired. Showered, girls up and dressed, car loaded and we were in the car, only 15 mins behind the schedule I'd set for us. (We are always, always last minute not matter how hard I try!)

Got to Manchester airport with plenty of time (feeling very pleased with ourselves) for our 9.40 flight and although the flight left a little late we got to CDG just about on time. I'd booked ezyshuttle after all the recommendations on this forum and can wholeheartedly recommend them. Our driver (a french lady) was waiting for us and we were soon on our way. I think, no I know, that out of all of us I was the most excited to pull up to the entrance to the hotel.

Our cases were whisked away by a very friendly doorman and then we entered the lobby which was gorgeous and had our first whiff of that unmistakeable smell. P loves this smell, I'm not so keen. There wasn't a huge queue at reception but we waited at least 15 mins to get our room card and tickets because the receptionists were spending ages with the people at the desk. I'd sent a very polite email the week before (another tip I gleaned from this forum) and asked for a quiet room close to the facilities. I also asked about park view rooms but was told standard rooms don't have park view. I was really pleased I'd emailed as our room (1206) was on the 2nd floor, really close to the stairs and lift and just down the hall from the bar/restaurants. It was at the end of the corridor so it was really quiet and we had a view of the turnstiles and entrance to the park nearest the main hotel entrance. We all loved the subtle disney theming. Quickly unpacked and headed into the park.

P had been saying that our first meal had to be "one of the giant hotdogs" so we strolled up main street to Casey's Corner. The weather (I had been stressing about this a lot before our trip because of all the snow the week before) was cold and grey but we sat outside so we could admire the beautiful castle, which I think looks gorgeous in all weathers! I'm not that keen on the hotdogs from Casey's but was happy to oblige my daughter's request - it was something quick and then we could get on with some rides.

After our pitstop we headed into Fantasyland via the dragon, both girls wanted to say hello. After some bickering between the girls about what we should go on (there is a lot of this in our house at the moment!) we all went on the carousel. We then realised we'd left the hotel fastpasses in the room so W headed back and I took the girls on Small World. There was no queue really for either of these. When we came out the parade had just started so we watched this from ramp of Small World. W came and met us, we finished watching the parade and then we took him onto Small World (this is one of M's favourite rides). By now it had started to drizzle, we split up as P was very keen to go on her favourite ride Big Thunder Mountain and M was very keen to go on Dumbo. I took P and we queued for BTM (maybe 15-20 mins) , we were saving our hotel FP for later. By now it was raining quite heavily and so every time we came out of a tunnel on the ride we got drenched. Neither of us cared though as we love this ride A LOT! Meanwhile M and W went on Dumbo, Pinnochio and Teacups. We met up and walked over to Discoveryland for Buzz - a firm favourite with all of us. The plan had been for us to stay out to watch Dreams but we were all cold, wet and tired and didn't fancy standing in the rain so we walked back to the hotel. There are lots of things I loved about staying at the DLH but one of the main things was the really short walk back at the end of the day.

Got the girls into a warm bath and rang room service to order a meal for them. We got a meal between them: it was 3 courses, a soup (which neither of them liked but we thought was delicious), a main (we got them chicken, mickey potato, and vegetables) - again they picked but we thought it was decent quality, and then pudding - they chose yogurts. Think the meal cost 35 E and an extra 3 E for extra yogurt. Oh and a drink and lovely basket of bread was included as well. The girls have never had room service before and were very pleased with the white table cloth that the room service man laid out for them, but weren't that bothered about the food! W walked to the village and we had a very yummy Earl of Sandwich and a small bottle of wine when the girls had gone to bed.

Then to bed for us.

Sorry if this is long winded but I'm really loving re-living our trip! Day 2 to follow...

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 19th March - 23rd March

Hi Amy

Not long-winded at all - I really love the detailed TRs! You did the same as us, we stayed at the HNY on our first trip but were seduced by the DLH when we ate at Inventions so stayed there in December. We loved it, so I hope it lived up to your expectations too.

Looking forward to reading more :-)

Lelly

Lancashire
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 19th March - 23rd March

Hi Lelly,

The hotel really did live up to my expectations, the only problem is I won't want to stay at any other hotel there now...

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
23,307 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 19th March - 23rd March

Oh I know that feeling! We've booked a Golden Forest room at the Sequoia for this December but I'm hanging out for a 2 nights free offer so we can upgrade to the DLH - fingers and eyes crossed...

Lancashire
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 19th March - 23rd March

Forgot to say that when we got into the room we found 2 autograph books and pens for the girls - don't know if this is standard but along with the chocolates on the turned down beds this is a really lovely touch.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 19th March - 23rd March

Crossing everything for you, although Golden Forest rooms sound like they will be lovely as well.

Norwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
9,790 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 19th March - 23rd March

Enjoying your trip report, Amy, there's a lot of bickering in our house too!

I can understand you not wanting stay anywhere else, I plan on trying all of the on site hotels but I know that when I get to the DLH I won't want to stay anywhere else so I'm saving it until last!! Looking forward to day two!

Lancashire
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 19th March - 23rd March

The constant bickering is quite a recent development for our house and I'm hoping it's just a stage, but with two girls I think I might be kidding myself!!!

Good plan Jofar to experience all of the hotels, maybe I could persuade OH that we need to go back to experience the other hotels?

Lancashire
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 19th March - 23rd March

Day 2

I did set my alarm but when no-one stirred just waited for the girls to wake up, which they did around 8.45. Showered and dressed and then into park for last bit of EMH - rides we went on has become a bit of a blur now, but sure we did a couple before the short walk back to the hotel for breakfast. Bumped into Chip and Dale outside the hotel shop who were brilliant with the girls, loads of photos and no-one else around. Then saw that Donald Duck was outside breakfast rooms. Now I have to admit that I was as excited as the girls to see Donald, we didn't see him at all last trip, so we got into the queue. CM approached and told us Donald would be leaving and Minnie and Mickey would be replacing him. She told me that Donald would be downstairs in the lobby at 11 though so we waited for Minnie and Mickey - girls were entranced and loved that they were gesturing up to Goofy on the balcony upstairs (castle club maybe?).

Really good tip is all the characters that appear outside the breakfast rooms also seem to make an appearance in the lobby at 11 and we didn't experience any massive scrums to meet the characters this way.

Breakfast was lovely but only real difference I noticed from the New York breakfast was the (very yummy) pancakes. Four of our five days we were seated in the California Grill restaurant which was lovely and had great views to the the castle.

Walked out of breakfast and saw Eyore so waited in a short queue to meet him - girls are now in love with Eyore as was really cute with them and we saw him again in Inventions. Downstairs in the lobby we finally got to meet Donald - again really brilliant interaction with the girls (and us!!).

We then made our way over to the Studios. P and I stood in a long queue for Parachutes while M and W did Slinky dog. We both got baby switch tickets so swapped over and the girls got to go on the rides twice. P really wanted to do Crush but think it might have been this day that it had broken down? We all did the cars ride, took lots of photos around the studios and then wandered out as my mum and her DH (P) had got the eurostar and rang to tell me they had just arrived. The girls had no idea nanny was meeting us. Walking back to the disneyland park my mum just "bumped into" us, which we thought had been a really good idea, but P especially seemed a little freaked out, and M just seemed to think it was the most natural thing in the world to bump into nanny in disneyland!!! I now realise that P does NOT like surprises. For our first trip last year we didn't tell them we were going until the airport (they had both been saying for months that they would love to go) and this did not go down as expected! (we have this on video and it's like the complete opposite of what you see on the disney adverts - it's hysterical!)

Anyway, mum and DH had done disney express (forum tip) and their luggage was taken to Sequoia so we took them to have a look at our beautiful room and then hit the park. Think my mum was ready to burst by the time we got onto main street. We called into City Hall, I wanted to ask if Rapunzel would be making an appearance at auberge and we wanted to get an easy access pass for my mum (yet another tip I picked up from this forum) - mum has had a stroke and has other health problems that affect her mobility. When they gave her the pass it was for her and four other people which we hadn't been expecting at all - this was brilliant.

Then finally mum got to see the castle which she was blown away by, and of course the girls took her to visit the dragon... Then we did rides in fantasyland and got a good spot near Small World to watch the parade - mum could sit on a bench until it was time for it to start. We all thought the parade was brilliant. Did some more rides - P and W took mum's DH on BTM which he found terrifying and brilliant and mum and I took M on more fantasyland rides.

I'd booked Plaza Gardens buffet for 6pm - really glad I had as there was a massive queue for people who hadn't booked. Wouldn't go here again - the food was okay but it was really chaotic, and there were huge queues to get to the buffet. Definitely not the most relaxing eating experience!

Took ages for the meal, P and I went on BTM with babyswitch ticket from earlier and the others got a spot for Dreams which was AMAZING. Mum and I admitted to each other afterwards that we had both got a bit teary.

Then back to hotel for warm bath for girls and wine for us!

Pontefract, United...
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 19th March - 23rd March

Really lovely report. I too appreciate all the small details in the reports thy are otherwise forgotten.

On both TR's that I've read today, both have said how chaotic Plaza Gardens was - we ate here for lunch last March and it was the exact opposite! So calm and peaceful. More so than anywhere else we ate, we loved the food too! Maybe it's only crazy at dinner/tea time?

Lancashire
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 19th March - 23rd March

I think we just went at the wrong time CherryPie - my bright idea was to eat after the parade and before dreams and come straight out to get a good spot - I think everyone else had the same idea! When we were leaving after 7 it seemed much calmer and there weren't massive queues to get to the buffet.