We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help deciding accomodation in paris or at marne-la Valee

australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
help deciding accomodation in paris or at marne-la Valee

Hello

We (family of 4 in early December) are thinking of going to Paris by train from London. My teenage daughters 16 & 19 would like to go to euro disney. After Paris or Marne-la-Valee we would like to take a train or plane to Zurich or Prague.

What I was wondering is would it be better to stay the 4 nights in Paris & take a day trip to Disney, or stay 3 nights in Paris then 1 day at a hotel near Disney.. i haven't checked prices of hotels near Disney but I know Paris is very expensive.

Thankyou

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
53,267 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help deciding accomodation in paris or at marne-la Valee

Hi,

Early December is a good time to go to Disneyland Paris ( not been called EuroDisney for some years now!), as the Christmas Celebrations will be on, but the parks do not get very busy until nearer Christmas, when the schools break up.

It takes about 40 mins on the RER line A4 train from central Paris to Marne La Vallee Chessy ( Disneyland). The station is inside resort, close to the parks and Village.

There is one direct Disney Eurostar train which leaves Kings Cross St Pancras about 10am, arriving in Disneyland at 13.30 but not on Tuesdays or Saturdays at off peak times. It returns at 19.50 usually, arriving back at KCSP at 21.20. Otherwise you can catch the Eurostar to Lille, then change for Marne La Vallee Chessy. Or catch the Eurostar straight into Paris.

There are 2 parks in Disneyland, so are you planning on one day in each park? If you booked one night in a Disney resort hotel, it will include breakfast and park tickets for 2 days. Weekends are obviously busier than weekdays.

If you stayed in Paris first ( if you want to stay in the city) you could book a hotel in the Disney resort for the last night, and catch a very early train so you can check into your hotel, collect your park tickets, then straight into the park. You would then also have the second day if you booked a late flight. There are 3 options for travel from Disney to CDG airport- VEA bus, ( about 45 mins) TGV train ( only 10 mins) or a private shuttle, like ezyshuttle or isprestige. ( see our TQ box about transport from the airports).

It depends on your dates, as I would try to avoid weekends in the parks if possible. The beginning of the week is usually quietest.

It is easy to travel into Paris on the train using a Mobilis zone 1-5 ticket, which also covers buses and metro, so you could stay in a hotel in Val D'Europe, like the Hotel Elysee, and travel to Paris and Disney from there, if hotels in central Paris are too expensive.

The RER trains run frequently from early until late.

There are some hotel choices whch are outside resort, but just one stop away on the RER line A train ( this is the same train that goes into Paris), or by free shuttle bus.

The cheapest Disney owned hotel is the Santa Fe ( 2 double beds in rooms) and the cheapest onsite non Disney hotel is the Kyriad usually.

Look at our Top Questions box on the right hand side of our forum page. There is a question about where to stay. If you click here, it will give you links to other threads about the hotels etc, as this is a popular question.

Edited: 12:00 pm, July 31, 2010
New Forest National...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,267 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help deciding accomodation in paris or at marne-la Valee

Alternatively, if you book a Disney hotel for the first night, book the direct Disney Eurostar from KCSP, which arrives at 1.30pm. If you ask for the Disney Express service, they will give you your park tickets on the train, and labels for your luggage. You hand in your luggage at the Express desk on the upper floor at the station, then you can go straight to the parks. They take your luggage to your hotel, to collect when you check in later. The Studios Park closes at 6pm usually, and the DL Park maybe 7pm at that time of year.

You can book to have dinner in the Disney Village, or in any of the Disney hotels before returning to your own hotel. The hotels have 24 hr reception, so it does not matter how late you are. They will get your luggage from the storeroom for you.

If you are staying in a Disney hotel, and have Extra Magic Hours, you can book early breakfast, then go into the DL park from 8am onwards, as they open selected rides for hotel guests.

After the parks have closed, you could have dinner in the Village or Disney hotel restaurant again, before catching the RER train into Paris to your hotel.

Edited: 12:18 pm, July 31, 2010
Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help deciding accomodation in paris or at marne-la Valee

IMO the extra time involved in packing and unpacking and transferring between hotels, not to mention the hassle of travelling to Marne-la-Vallée by public transport with all your luggage would not make up for any possible savings you might achieve.

Double rooms in well-located and pleasant hotels in Paris can easily be found for €100 a night or less, quad rooms for about €160. You can find less expensive accommodations if you stay a few minutes métro ride away from the "center" which is a term that hardly applies to Paris. I find hotels in Paris to be considerably less expensive than their equivalents in London. You might consider an apartment for your Paris stay as you would have a bit more space. Apartments usually rent by the week but shorter rentals are possible. If you would prefer a hotel, with two young women I would opt for two double rooms rather than a family room. Just having two bathrooms would make a huge difference IMO. The sooner you book your Paris hotel the better your chances of finding available rooms in the better value establishments.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help deciding accomodation in paris or at marne-la Valee

Incidentally, Easyjet flies from Paris to Prague. I am not sure if there are any budget airlines with direct flights to Zürich but I think not. We have visited Zürich quite a few times. (One of my brothers lived there for several years, another not too far away in Switzerland.) FWIW while we find it a pleasant enough city it's not a place I would go out of my way to visit unless there was some special reason to do so.

Edited: 1:18 pm, July 31, 2010
australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help deciding accomodation in paris or at marne-la Valee

Thanks everyone

Your help was really appreciated and very useful.

New Forest National...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
53,267 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help deciding accomodation in paris or at marne-la Valee

I have not been to Prague myself yet, but somewhere I would like to visit one day. It is said to be very beautiful.

You can also visit Versailles from Paris, if you have the time.

Edited: 5:45 am, August 01, 2010
Noisy-le-Grand...
Level Contributor
790 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help deciding accomodation in paris or at marne-la Valee

Inexpensive hotels and appartments near and outside DLP:

in Magny-le-Hongre Kyriad, Citea,

in Chessy Auberge Saint-Nicolas,

in Serris Adagio Apparthotel Val d'Europe,

in Montévrain Résidence du Parc, Residhome, Hôtel du Centre Levaillant, Park & Suites Village Marne-la Vallée, Etap Hôtel, Ibis.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,277 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help deciding accomodation in paris or at marne-la Valee

Campone's list is quite a good one-- but there's an important note to be made:

All of the hotels in the list, save one, are chain hotels.

The Auberge St Nicolas in Chessy is a small, independently-run hotel above a restaurant bar. Charming for those who prefer such properties, but a major disappointment for those accustomed to more upscale hotels.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help deciding accomodation in paris or at marne-la Valee

Agreeing with IrishRovr, I would suggest staying in Paris all 4 days, for the same reasons he explained.

The Hotel Dauphine has two connecting rooms, ideal with teenagers.

http://dauphine-paris-hotel.com

It is in the Saint Germain, very central, close to many sights. A good choice, either you stay 3 nights or 4.

Noisy-le-Grand...
Level Contributor
790 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help deciding accomodation in paris or at marne-la Valee

There is no ploblem in general with "chain hotels" located in Marne-la-Vallée. It depends what you are searching for? Expensive, inexpensive or cheaper....