We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation-related Questions : Playa Blanca

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
seattle
Level Contributor
121 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation-related Questions : Playa Blanca

We are staying at Playa Blanca. I have some transportation-related questions and would appreciate your advice:

1. Will it be too expensive to take the taxi from the airport to Playa Blanca?

2. Because we are staying at a more isolated area, will it be difficult to get a taxi from Playa Blanca to go to the La Ropa area?

3. Can we stay at Playa Blanca and not have to rent a car if we just plan on visiting La Ropa and Barra de Potosi?

4. If we change our minds and decide to rent a car, is the airport the only place to go for renting a car?

5. We are nine people in our party. Should we get a big van or 2 separate cars if we decide to rent a car/ rent cars?

Thank you in advance for your help!

7 replies to this topic
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
3,827 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation-related Questions : Playa Blanca

1. It will bea bit less expensive to take a taxi from the airport to Playa Blanca than to Zihua, because you pass Playa Blanca on the way to Zihua from the airport.

2. I am sure there will be taxis hanging around the local restaurants. Of course I don't have any idea how close you will be staying to the restaurants.

3. While Zihua & Barra are not far from Playa Blanca, it is too far to walk, so you will need a taxi for sure. Playa Blanca is between Barra & Zihua. The convenience of getting a taxi will depend on the location of your accommodation. Perhaps there is the availability of a phone there?

4. You can rent cars in downtown Zihua or at the airport.

5. 9 is a lot to fit into 1 car, in my opinion.

Sorry not to have more specific answers for you. Maybe someone else has more info. I wish you the best with your plans and hope you have a wonderful visit to the Zihua area. Just write again if you have more questions.

Edited: 9:19 am, October 15, 2012
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation-related Questions : Playa Blanca

Nine is too many for even most vans. A buddy of mine has a taxi plus a van. His vans maximum is 7 plus the driver

Playa Blanca resorts can be within walking distance of Barra or not. The total beach which has 3 different names is about 91/2 miles long..

Barra de Potisi gas a number of fine beach cafés. The Lagoon there is a wonderful place to Kayak at 100 pesos per hour. A good guide with a power boat is Sharkboy (IE Avi) who speaks decent English & is knowledgeable. Ask him about a trip to Playa Valentina. You will find him on the beach at Potosi.

Edited: 10:55 am, October 15, 2012
seattle
Level Contributor
121 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation-related Questions : Playa Blanca

Hello,

Thanks for your helpful advice. What an intriguing name---Sharkboy!

Is the only way to find Sharkboy is to take a chance on seeing him on the Potosi beach? What exactly does he do; does he offer snorkeling trips?

Thanks again!

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation-related Questions : Playa Blanca

http://www.barratours.blogspot.com/

Here you go. He's a great young guy, newly married & very personable.

Level Contributor
417 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation-related Questions : Playa Blanca

We had no problems getting taxi service (at Hotel Las Palmas) on Playa Blanca. They would call taxis for us when we needed to head to Z or elsewhere. At the airport you are closer to Playa Blanca (the airport is really just off the beach near Playa Blanca) than to downtown Z or La Ropa for example... From Hotel Las Palmas we rode their bikes (for guests) to La Barra, That was a fun and different way to get to La Barra.

Barra de Potosi...
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation-related Questions : Playa Blanca

Hi TW92,

1. taxi from the airport to Barra de Potosi is around 450 pesos lately, it is going through Los Achotes (the paved road) depends where you are on Playa Blanca it could be same or less.

2. it is not difficult if you have access to local phone, call for taxi in Barra de Potosi and it will be at your place within minutes. let me know if you need #s

your host/ innkeeper or caretakers will of course have some # ready for you and will get one for you when needed.

I needed to call for a taxi on New Year night past midnight to take someone to Ixtapa and to my surprise the first taxi number I dialed answered and arrived in 10 minutes.

3. even if you go somewhere else, like ruins, Petatlan, isla Ixtapa etc, you still can easily use taxi

4. airport is definitely the closest place to rent a car

Have a great vacation!

La Rusa

Barra de Potosi...
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation-related Questions : Playa Blanca

peddler665 I dont think it is thaaaaaaaat long :):)))))))))))))))))))))

Reply to: Transportation-related Questions : Playa Blanca
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Playa Blanca