We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf in and around Mauna Lani area...Which courses to play?

Sherwood park...
Level Contributor
558 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Golf in and around Mauna Lani area...Which courses to play?

We will be staying at a home in Mauna Lani in late April- early May. Any suggestions on which golf courses offer the best value, in the area? Also if you have any knowledge of a good place for a couple of lessons while we are there. We will have a vehicle, so not afraid to drive a bit, and not looking for the cheapest option either.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,688 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf in and around Mauna Lani area...Which courses to play?

Well, you're staying right at two of the best courses, Mauna Lani north and south. Their rates are good for resort courses and they also have discounts after 1 or 2pm. You can get lessons there too. Your other nearby options are the two Waikoloa Beach courses which are ok but my least favorite of the Kohala Coast courses, and then the the Mauna Kea and the Hapuna courses (one each). MK is gorgeous and tough and expensive. Hapuna is reasonably priced and a decent course but not as well maintained or interesting as the Mauna Kea course. Big Island Country Club is about 25 minutes up the mountain and is a nice contrast from the hot beach/ocean courses, less expensive, and fun, I'd avoid weekends. Makalei same thing.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,986 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf in and around Mauna Lani area...Which courses to play?

My husband played up at Waikoloa Village last summer...it was a little windy but otherwise he enjoyed it. He's also played out at Big Island Country Club which he said was ok. He would play both again. He's about a 9 handicap.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,688 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf in and around Mauna Lani area...Which courses to play?

I don't like Waikoloa Village because it's almost always windy and there's houses and condos lining the fairways way too close by for my comfort....but then I'm not very good! :-)))

Sherwood park...
Level Contributor
558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golf in and around Mauna Lani area...Which courses to play?

Thanks.....I think we will look at the Mauna Lani for the majority of our rounds due to being right there, and then look at the Big Island Country Club for a more inland feel.

Thanks for the tips

Connecticut
Level Contributor
64 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golf in and around Mauna Lani area...Which courses to play?

If you're planning on playing a lot of golf on your trip, some people recommend the GolfHawaiiCard. The card has discounts for some courses (Mauna Kea, Hapuna among others). Mauna Lani is not one of the courses, however. I've never bought/used the card so I can't give a personal recommendation. I've only played on the BI once and that was the Mauna Lani South course, which was great. I got a discounted rate from staying at the hotel. I'm hoping to play there again when I'm back out there in about four weeks!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,668 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golf in and around Mauna Lani area...Which courses to play?

The Waikoloa Village golf course (designed by Robert Trent Jones) is a good value and the view is gorgeous at sunset. You get a view of the coastline from 5-700 feet elevation.

It can be horribly windy there, but it is not always by any means. My last two day stay in the Village for two days there was not even a breeze going (2-3 weeks ago). You can usually tell whether the wind is up just judging by Kohala coast conditions. If it is windy on the coast, it will likely be way windy up there.

It is true the course is ringed by condos!

There are also wild turkey flocks, wild goats, using the water features. There are reduced rates at the end of the day. This course does have better rates for kamaʻaina than the visitor rate though. It also has discount rates for not using a cart.

I donʻt play golf, but my son plays this course a lot because he lives there. Also I have stayed in condos on the course numerous times, which is why I am familiar with the sunsets. The sunsets up there often beat the show down on the coastline for clouds and color.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,113 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golf in and around Mauna Lani area...Which courses to play?

We played the Waikoloa Village course last March and enjoyed both the course and the views ... we wouldn't hesitate to go again. We were staying at the Mauna Lani and golfed both courses there as well - very nice! I think the lowest rates we were getting there were after 12 p.m. - at $125 pp.

Check golfnow and ezlinks for discounts at Waikoloa Village and several other courses on the BI. We considered getting the discount card that mswats mentions, but since we were staying at the ML resort, we were getting a discount there, and by using golfnow and ezlinks, you can usually find some deals at other courses (without having to pay for a discount card).

Edited: 8:47 pm, February 04, 2014
Sherwood park...
Level Contributor
558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golf in and around Mauna Lani area...Which courses to play?

Great info...thanks. Any further info on lessons or practice facilites? We are slightly above average golfers

Sherwood park...
Level Contributor
558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Golf in and around Mauna Lani area...Which courses to play?

anyone on experience with lessons?

Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Golf in and around Mauna Lani area...Which courses to play?

Favorite course for me is Mauna Lani North. Everyone wants to play the south since it has more "ocean holes" but the North is way more interesting.

Also - If you are a golf nut... play one in the morning and do the other in the afternoon at the replay rate. You can't get a resv for the second round, but it would be unusual not to be able to get a spot for two people as a walk on. I do this all the time.

Lastly, I think the BICC is a great value and like others have said, a great change from the other courses.

BTW - I am a 12.3 (I think giving your index helps folks understand your perspective)

Get answers to your questions about Kohala Coast