We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The never ending which beach questions....lol

denver city, tx
Level Contributor
119 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
The never ending which beach questions....lol

We are going to be on the Big Island for the first time, July 25-Aug 19 (1st week in a rental on Puako, the rest in a rental in Keaau/Puna) We have 3 children 13,9&7, and while I consider them competent in the water; we have always vacationed in St John, USVI where you could allow any child who could handle a bath free play in many bays. I am well aware that this will not be the case and I am educating my 2 oldest kiddos about currents and riptides and rocks, etc. My youngest son is autistic and while fairly okay in the water, we will just have to plan to stay on top of him.

I realize beaches are very different by seasons and giving our dates was hoping for some guidance on best beaches for swimming and snorkeling.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,161 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The never ending which beach questions....lol

There is a Top Question on the right hand side of the forum (on the full desktop version) that covers all the beaches in detail. Waialea will be the closest beach to you and is an excellent choice but you have several options within a short radius.

Summer on the Kohala Coast will almost always have flat and calm ocean conditions.

2. Re: The never ending which beach questions....lol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 20, 2015