We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Mauna Lani Point question

Houston
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around Mauna Lani Point question

We arrived today and the property is beautiful, but it seems to have a very unfortunate design. We're on the honokaope bay side, but there doesn't seem to be a way to walk there {or to any beach} without violating the golf course. The kids and I walked around a little before it got dark, but each part on the map that appeared to have access to the ocean just ran into the course. For eco-friendly Hawaii I'm sad to have to drive to the beach club! Looking at the property map can't see anyway to get to honokaope bay by foot or car.

Does anyone know if there are places to cut through the course? And if we have to drive to honokaope bay where can we park?

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
California
Level Contributor
7,100 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Mauna Lani Point question

Not sure if it's approved but we've always just walked the golf paths to the beach club. Never even thought about it being a problem or not being allowed plus there's always so few people playing anyway. Whats the worse that can happen besides maybe getting hit by a golf ball. I just pay attention to players teeing off so I'm not in the way. Your staying at a great property so enjoy it!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,838 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Mauna Lani Point question

You can easily walk to both Honokaope and Makaiwa, I do it all the time. The paved oceanfront path to Makaiwa is as much for pedestrians as it is golf carts. In fact it becomes exclusively a pedestrian walkway the last bit as it fronts the oceanfront houses and goes directly down to the sand at Makaiwa. It's only about a 5 minute walk.

The fisherman's trail to Honokaope is lava rock but it's a fairly obvious trail and is about a 15 minute walk.

There is a public access parking lot for Honokaope, but it has very few spaces and you really should leave them for residents of possible, especially on weekends (this is a popular spot for locals to fish and free dive) since you're staying walking distance away.

A good way to get a sense of it is Google Earth, but you can't get lost. Just go out to the ocean and start walking, north for Makaiwa, south for Honokaope :-)

Edited: 4:07 pm, December 15, 2013
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
277 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Mauna Lani Point question

The golf cart path from the 14th hole to the 15th hole cuts between the B and C buildings at MLP. Follow the path towards the water and go to the left at the "T" in the path. Halfway to the pro tee there is beach/water access... not much beach, but access nonetheless. Follow the cart path to the right and you'll eventually end up at the ML Beach Club.

Houston
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Mauna Lani Point question

Thanks! I didn't realize we could traipse right across but we'll try it!

We bought boogie boards at Costco today. Any recommendations for a nearby place to use them?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,838 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around Mauna Lani Point question

Well, you should be careful. There was a good size swell in yesterday and while it's smaller today it's expected to start building again soon and be dangerous by next weekend. Hapuna about five minutes north is very good bodyboarding but if you're beginners (and it sounds like you are with the Costco boards) stay out unless it's less than about 2-3 feet as the shore break is very unforgiving. Same thing with Manini'owali, about 25 minutes south.

Mentioned in this post
Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area
Hapuna Beach State...
2,075 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
605 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around Mauna Lani Point question

We were just there two weeks ago and I had the exact same issue \(looking forward to doing lots of walking only to find it actually wasn't all that conducive for this). One day I tried to walk the "fisherman's trail" from Makaiwa to Honokaope along the beach. About midway along, I lost the trail and tried to continue scrambling on the lava till I was scraped and bleeding and decided that this was not such a great idea. I climbed up on the golf course and started walking along it. But shortly thereafter I got picked up by the golf course marshal in his golf cart. He advised me that it was NOT appropriate for me to be walking on the golf course and ended up driving me back to where I was going.

Houston
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around Mauna Lani Point question

Hahaha!!! We just walked to the black sand beach. That is NOT what I would call a "path" by any stretch of the imagination. My kids loved it, but I'm exhausted and happy to be back in one piece. :-).

I don't think I could climb the lava hills carrying all the beach paraphernalia... Is it easier going to the beach club?

Do people live in the mansions we passed along the way? They appeared to be deserted!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,838 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting around Mauna Lani Point question

I think some of you are vey lost! There should be no walking *on* the golf course. The paved path to Makaiwa from any point does not require you to walk on the course and If you find yourself walking on the course, you're lost. Makaiwa is literally right next to Makaiwa.

The walking path to Honokaope is lava rock but isn't particularly difficult and if you follow the shoreline you shouldn't get lost. I usually walk from Makaiwa to Honokaope or vice versa with my beach chair and a beach bag.

Houston
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting around Mauna Lani Point question

Coming from a MLP condo there doesn't seem to be any path (cart or otherwise) that can get us to the oceanside path without crossing the course. I agree that once you make it to the ocean you can get from one beach to another, but it wasn't trivial to do so! It seems like the resort intentionally tried to discourage walking to the beaches.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
605 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting around Mauna Lani Point question

Hmm, I clearly wasn't walking in the right spot! I started off walking from Makaiwa south. The path was pretty good for the first part and then got fainter and fainter. I had google mapped it earlier but didn't have my phone with me when I ran inti trouble and lost the path. The point where I nearly killed myself was trying to walk right along the shoreline by the iconic hole #15 as shown in this photo

…washtimes.com/media/…

I finally got stuck trying to get around the tee off spot for this hole which was a litte peninsula of lava sticking out over the ocean. Still cant figure out how one is supposed to walk along the shoreline at his point...