We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: 9-3-2013 (My first ever?!). Day 1.

SoCAL
Level Contributor
415 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: 9-3-2013 (My first ever?!). Day 1.

Dear dreamers and fellow travelers,

We ate breakfast on the lanai, then we lounged in the beachside blue cabana at the Mauna Lani Resort for hours and hours and had tropical drinks brought to us by Myrna, played Words with Friends, gazed all day at the beautiful view of Maui, took a few dips in the water, and saw the frequent honu.

I didn't think about work once.

Day 1: the End.

;-)

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: 9-3-2013 (My first ever?!). Day 1.

Day 1 sounds very relaxing,...and worth repeating again and again.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,405 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: 9-3-2013 (My first ever?!). Day 1.

Yay! Glad you're here. And thank you thank you for doing a TR?

Btw it will help me immensely if you continue your TR under this same thread. I'm responsible for linking all the TRs under the TQ and when people do separate posts for each day it becomes a lot more time-consuming :-) Thanks and have a great rest of the trip.

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
470 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: 9-3-2013 (My first ever?!). Day 1.

Sounds wonderful. Can't wait to read more.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,544 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: 9-3-2013 (My first ever?!). Day 1.

I love trips like that - in fact, I think I need one of those with a similar itinerary. Enjoy! :)

United States
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: 9-3-2013 (My first ever?!). Day 1.

Sounds pretty much perfect.

After spending 2 weeks on the island in July, my husband actually forgot his password for the network at work...he can totally relate to not thinking about work!

SoCAL
Level Contributor
415 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report: 9-3-2013 (My first ever?!). Day 1.

Day 2:

Here goes! I'll try not to disappoint, however, we've been coming to the Big Island once a year lately. We count ourselves very lucky and don't take it for granted. We tend to chill and fell in love with the Mauna Lani area (and we NEVER considered ourselves 'resort' people but this place is right in our wheelhouse) so we dont explore and do much of the tourist things like we did on our first visit in 2002. Last night we had dinner at the Canoe House. I wrote up a review last night and it should be posted hopefully soon. Today we got in the rental car (yes, you have to have a rental car to do this island justice) and drove to our favorite, funky place for a late breakfast: Up Country Bakery & Cafe. We stumbled in there just after it opened a year or two ago. Maybe more. Great little sandwiches, Vegan options, organic, etc. We split an open-face egg bagel sandwich. the garlic spread they put on the sandwiches is to die for! Their banana nut bread is great and they have other snacks and cookies. We really like this place and it fits in well with the vibe around Captain Cook and south Kona District area.

Then we drove down to Place of Refuge/Pu'uhonua o Honaunau. We always try to snorkel here each trip. No turtles today, though and not much excitement but still love swimming around this bay and watching the fishies and the underwater topography. But an older geezer-like couple in inflatable kayaks were paddling right around the cove near the two step entry even where all the snorkelers are and rode right over my fiancé and nearly jabbed him with their paddle. he had his head down -- you know, snorkeling -- and he didnt see them ride right up on top of him. Sigh...they didn't even apologize. The place is becoming more and more popular over the years we've been coming here (I'm not complaining for I'm a visitor too) so we tend to go on weekdays. There were two cruise ships in port so activities like this tend to be more populated those days.. Many people do dangerous and stupid things getting in the water, though. Like walking 20 feet with fins on across the lava shelf or getting in at unsafe places. Watch others first and it's not too hard using common sense at the two step entry. We like to park across from the entry in the Church lot and while its a $3 fee we always leave a little more. We've never had problems in the lot leaving stuff (out of sight) in the car or on the lava bench area while we're in the water. We have our own masks and get rental fins from Snorkel Bob's in the Mauna Lani Shops. This time we picked up a water protection pouch to put the car key in -- it's a fob and can't get wet so something to think about bringing with you or buying to protect your ID, a few bucks, a credit card, and the car fob key. This way we can be in the water together and not worry about our less-important stuff out of sight, but again we've never had problems here and we are better-safe-than-sorry type people. Keep all other valuables at the hotel room safe. :-)

After snorkeling, we stopped off for some early afternoon pupus and beers at Kona Brewing. It's pretty hot today down there! Now, I'm relaxing in the hotel room and the man is down at the pool taking a swim, but I suspect he'll be heading to the bar and asking Michael for a Mai Tai. :-). When we check out, we just don't look at the final bill anymore ;-)

Oh! Forgot. Finally stopped at the Donkey Balls place on the way back toward Kailua and I bought a bunch of expensive balls for my team at work. :-)

The Mauna Lani, it should be noted, is under some minor updates. The entire north facing side of the resort hallways are blocked off -- even much of the ocean front rooms. The rooms are getting new carpeting, new paint, and a "refreshing". With all that going on we haven't been disturbed or bothered by it. There is slight paint fumes but not bad and lots of work crews working throughout the day. The resort seems to be only 10% full, perhaps a little more. This is our favorite time of year to come here as there's no problem getting beach cabanas or chairs at the pool. The only bummer is no whales yet. Some people might rather like more people as it is pretty lacking in evening excitement, but that's not why we come here. It's a soul recharge for both of us. :-).

More tomorrow or Thursday! Tomorrow is snorkeling on property and chilaxing. Then we are going to try to drive up to the Mauna Kea Visitor Center for the evening star gazing for the first time!

7. Re: Trip Report: 9-3-2013 (My first ever?!). Day 1.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 06, 2014