We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jameson's Restaurant closed?

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,135 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Jameson's Restaurant closed?

Friends are headed to Hawaii where they honeymooned 20 years ago- staying at the Hapuna Beach Prince. They had mentioned that they thought they might dine at Jameson's , which they enjoyed many years ago- but it looks to me like it is closed. Any alternative suggestionsuggestion? Also, would they enjoy the Observatory? They already did the volcano and an island drive on their previous visit and are looking for a different activity.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,813 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jameson's Restaurant closed?

Yes, Jameson's closed. I always thought it was a poor restaurant, and had been getting worse in recent years. If they're staying at the Hapuna Prince they'll probably want something closer to "home" anyway. Both Beach Tree and 'Ulu at the Four Seasons Hualalai are oceanfront and have some of the best food in the state. Merriman's is upcountry, no ocean, but is probably the best restaurant on the island.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,794 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jameson's Restaurant closed?

The observatories are for astronomers only, not the public. You may be thinking of the VIS or visitor's information station, which has a stargazing program at 9000 feet with portable telescopes (not the giant world class telescopes on the summit).

They might enjoy a summit tour. Read the Top Questions on visiting Mauna Kea please, and they should evaluate their possible health risks in going up there.

I think Jameson's was sort of in the mix when I first came here 16 years ago, but it's been many years since I have heard anything good about it. The Prince is in the resort area that is quite remote from Kailua Kona. It's too far to cab back, and it's not the kind of drive where you can drink with dinner and then drive back, so that's something to consider. Alcohol aside, it's not a great drive to do after dinner. The Kohala resorts are much closer, and Merriman's is definitely within striking distance (although same caveat, need DD).

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,813 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jameson's Restaurant closed?

You might also share with them the Top Question on things to do.

Texas
Level Contributor
815 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jameson's Restaurant closed?

If you are speaking of the Jameson's at Kailua-Kona Magic Sands, it is open under a different name, Anthony's, at least it was in January. It was average food, but the location is outstanding.

http://www.anthonyshawaii.com/index.html

Edited: 11:16 am, March 24, 2013
5. Re: Jameson's Restaurant closed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 26, 2014