We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant choices/opinions

Pittsburgh PA
Level Contributor
248 posts
370 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant choices/opinions

We're staying at the Four Seasons for 10 days the end of January and have been researching dinner options. Definitely decided on the following; Roy's, KPC, Merriman's in Waimea, Beach Tree B&G, Brown's BH and Canoe House.

Now I'm looking for a few more dinners at more casual places yet want great food, good service and a Hawaiian feel/ maybe entertainment. Here's what I'm between if you have any opinions, we are a couple celebrating hubby's 50th B-Day so want to stay away from restaurants geared towards kids...Jackie Rey's, Huggo's, Lava Lava, Napua, Monstera and Waikoloa B&G.

Any help is appreciated.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Restaurant choices/opinions

True, although any place a person. Has dinner employs local folks.

As another way to support our locals, is support our living musical treasures, you might like to find a restaurant that provides a gig for a local slack key guitar talent like John Keawe or David Gomes and so forth.

dallas, texas
Level Contributor
134 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Restaurant choices/opinions

Question..Our plane arrives around 7:00PM we are staying at the HIlton and I made a reservation at KPC for 9:15. First, do you think we will make the reservation due to travel time from the airport to the HIlton? I am sure we will be starving but these reviews are scaring me away. Is there anything within walking distance we can go to that will be open late on a Sunday evening?

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,962 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Restaurant choices/opinions

Sansei is open until 10 PM on Sunday, so you could make that. It's 7/10 of a mile from the Hilton, but rather than walk I would stop there en route as you go right past it.

I do not see the value of eating at KPC other than for a view, which would not be a factor this night.

The Hilton property might be better viewed after a meal, if you are starving.

Timewise, it depends on your flight coming in on time and your rental car pickup time. The drive is maybe 30 minutes.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,010 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Restaurant choices/opinions

letter girl, If you are flying in from Texas that night.....it will be close to Midnight CST by the time you are heading to your accommodation.

I'm thinking ..you more than likely will have met your nutritional requirements for the day by then. Usually folks buy something to consume on the plane.

You may well want a bite of something after landing however.....and stopping at the Queen's marketplace within WBR would work well.there are several options available there ....food court, Sansei, grocery gourmet market(open til 11p.m.)

You are going to be beat!

KPC.....and a 9:15 p.m.reservation on arrival night (or any night for that matter).... Just doesn't sit well IMO.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,946 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Restaurant choices/opinions

Yeah, I suspect you aren't going to want to stop and eat a sit down dinner either. But I would look at Roy's (not sure what their last seating is) in addition to Sansei suggested above. You could always make a rez and then cancel when you decide you just want to go to the hotel room :-)

No California
Level Contributor
233 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Restaurant choices/opinions

I'm offering a different opinion on KPC. It's just an opinion and I understand we all have different tastes and expectations.

We have a time share in the Waikoloa area and so have spent many years staying in this area. For many of those years we stayed away from KPC due to comments just like those expressed in this thread. About 4 or 5 years ago we ended up at KPC (have no idea how it came about) and had a wonderful meal. We could not believe we avoided this place for so many years. We have been back at least 5 times and have never had a bad meal. The fish has always been a very good quality and cut, the service has always been THE BEST, and the view can't be beat. The price is higher than some restaurants, and lower than others. But I will say that if I had to eat inside, or outside after dark, then the price would not be worth it.

I will say that I ALWAYS make reservations in person. I request the patio and let them know that I understand it's only a request. I make reservations for their first seating (whenever they open for dinner), and then we show up 15 or 20 minutes prior to our reservation. We check in and then enjoy a drink (and I don't drink alcohol). This way we know we will be seated on the patio. When they first started their policy of a $50 surcharge for the first row of seating along the oceanfront, I vowed I would never pay that price. And I haven’t. If they can get folks to cough up the price up front, it guarantees the location. But if they don't have any paid reservations for the front row, then it goes to anyone else.

As I said, everyone has different experiences. I've had some badly cut (too much blood line) fish or old fish in places that charge a lot more than KPC, so things happen. I know firsthand how disappointing it is to shell out a lot of money and not be happy with your meal. But thankfully it’s never happened at KPC.

dallas, texas
Level Contributor
134 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Restaurant choices/opinions

Thank you! Can't wait to try all your suggestions!

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,946 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Restaurant choices/opinions

You know, I realize Holuakoa Gardens didn't get mentioned here. It kind of fell off my radar since I moved from there, but it really is excellent food in the rather charming, non-resort, upcountry little coffee and gallery town of Holualoa. Service is lacking, as is the wine list, but it's high quality food, locally sourced, imaginatively prepared, and a reasonable drive from the Four Seasons.

29. Re: Restaurant choices/opinions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 21, 2014