We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area to stay for 10 days this January?

Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Which area to stay for 10 days this January?

I am going to the Big Island the first part of January with my family of 5 (my kids are all in their 20's) and we are looking for a place to stay. We have stayed previously at Volcanoes and in Kona and are thinking of trying the northern part of the island. I'm a little worried about rain on the east side but perhaps 4 nights there and 5 nights on the west? We like to hike, bike, and snorkel. Resort amenities not necessary. Thank you TA friends for any advice.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,184 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area to stay for 10 days this January?

If you want to snorkel, you want to be on the west side. No beaches or shore snorkeling north of Kawaihae, so if you stay up there you will be driving to the shore spots in South Kohala or Kona.

Mentioned in this post
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kohala Suites by Hilton...
1,161 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kona
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area to stay for 10 days this January?

Sounds like if you've stayed in Kona and in Volcano, that a South Kohala stay would be a good choice. Lots of excellent snorkeling nearby and many hikes within a reasonable drive. Also, much less vog and traffic than down in Kona.

Biking is a lot more of a challenge anywhere on this island; road biking is very dangerous (except inside the resorts) and there are very few trails.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
1,161 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area to stay for 10 days this January?

Thank you so much! No one has recommended the east side so I will book something in south Kohala. One more question: If road biking isn't good, how about mountain biking? Any good trails for that?

Mentioned in this post
1,161 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
4. Re: Which area to stay for 10 days this January?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, December 16, 2013