We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauna Lani vs Marriott Waikoloa

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
387 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Mauna Lani vs Marriott Waikoloa

We are trying to decide on a hotel for a two-night stay next month prior to our week in a timeshare. We reserved the Marriott Waikoloa, but have since found a good rate at the Mauna Lani that is making us reconsider our stay.

We love to spend most of our time in the water (ocean or pool works for us) but also prefer laid-back eateries.

We were attracted to the Marriott because it was smaller than the Hilton, while still being able to see the Manta Rays that visit the Hilton at night. And we read that we can walk across the street for more restaurant options.

But overall the Mauna Lani is sounding a lot more appealing to us for the snorkeling, intimate feel and the better beach experience.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,274 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mauna Lani vs Marriott Waikoloa

Oh the Mauna Lani is a far superior hotel and experience in every single way.Better beaches, snorkeling, service, rooms, grounds, etc etc. Jump on it. Napua at the beach club is a nice casual place for lunch and dinner, as is Tomny Bahamas and Monstera at the Shops at the Mauna Lani.

I have never seen a manta ray at the Hilton. Who is advertising that they visit there?

I do encourage you to do the manta ray night snorkel, that's they way to see them! But if you want to see them from shore, the Mauna Kea beach hotel shines a light to attract them although it's hit and miss.

Edited: 9:39 pm, October 14, 2012
Canada
Level Contributor
9,175 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mauna Lani vs Marriott Waikoloa

The Marriott Waikoloa has teenie tiny rooms with barely there Lanai(more Juliet style) Pass...

Sure there are a number of affordable dining choices at Waikoloa Beach Resort...but accommodation at Mauna Lani is just up the road.......less than 10 min drive.

Of the 2 properties you mention...Mauna Lani is the superior choice.

Kona
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mauna Lani vs Marriott Waikoloa

Definitely, the Mauna Lani. The best thing about this beautiful resort is their "green" consciousness, which they manage to pull off with 5-star flair. From their website (and it's true) . . . "Mauna Lani Resort was named the only US property in North America to be honored as one of the world's Top Luxury Eco Friendly Beach Destinations by Condé Nast Traveler. Mauna Lani's solar energy innovations earned the resort the distinction of generating the most solar electric power of any luxury resort in the world."

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
387 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mauna Lani vs Marriott Waikoloa

Thank you for the great feedback. From what you have shared it sounds the Mauna Lani wins hands down.

We definitely plan to do the night snorkel to see the manta rays. We were very fortunate to snorkel with one in the day time in Bora Bora and it was magical.

I thought I had read something about mantas near the Hilton but not sure where. And it is possible that I am confusing it with another hotel (maybe the Sheraton?).

Thanks again for the help.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,740 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mauna Lani vs Marriott Waikoloa

Sheraton or Mauna Kea.

Elmhurst, Illinois
Level Contributor
387 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mauna Lani vs Marriott Waikoloa

Maybe it was the Mauna Kea. That makes mores sense based on location, but I am not sure. I hope I didn't cause any confusion.

7. Re: Mauna Lani vs Marriott Waikoloa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 18, 2013