We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary - 9 days in October

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary - 9 days in October

Aloha!

We are arriving on October 11 and staying at the Hapuna Prince. Thanks for the suggestions - we ended up getting an excellent price through HawaiiGolfDeals. The package price for our oceanfront room plus convertible is less than what I could book for the hotel alone.

We will be meeting our son and his SO who has a time share in Kona. She is a tri-athlete but won't be competing this year. We will go with them to watch some of the competition.

My husband will play golf a few times. I plan to spend much time relaxing on Hapuna Beach and reading. Our son and SO will join us from time to time, plus we'll probably have several dinners together.

I seem to remember some hotels having happy hours with a little live Hawaiian music or dance. Are there still such places? And if so, which might be the best ones (not big drinkers so more interested in the entertainment).

We've been to VNP but it was probably 15 years ago. I don't think we'll do it again, but I haven't been to Hilo and would like to make a day trip. We'll play it by ear - check weather reports and try to find the "best" day to go.

I love gardens and flowers - is there anything I should put on my "must do" list - does it matter that it's October. Here we'd be looking at leaves and fall mums. What's in season in October, or is that a silly question?

Are there any festivals or hula competitions during that time frame? I looked and didn't find any. I've always wanted to come for the Merrie Monarch Festival but that's in the spring and this trip can't wait. When we went to Kauai two years ago, we happened to be able to attend a luau/hula festival and it was fabulous. There were dance teams from all over the South Pacific including Japan.

We probably won't have too many things planned too firmly as I have a health issue and there is no telling what I will be capable of by the time we arrive. If you could only pre-plan one "attraction" what would it be? Not looking for thrills and chills, just something memorable that speaks "Hawaii". Are there hot air balloon ride companies? That's on my bucket list, and Hawaii would be a great location to make that happen.

Thank you so much for your help!

Michelle

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,982 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary - 9 days in October

There are a few places on the Kohala Coast that have happy hours and live music, including Napua at the Beach Club at the Mauna Lani and the Lava Lava Beach Club at Anaehoomalu Bay (Waikoloa Beach). Napua has music from Thursday - Sunday starting at 5pm, Lava Lava every night, plus a hula dancer. I prefer the music at Napua which is more Hawaiiana oriented, although there isn't a dancer. No happy hour, but you can find hula and live Hawaiian music at the Beach Tree at the Four Seasons Hualalai. I believe also that the Copper Terrace at the Mauna Kea has happy hour specials and hula and live music every night, but check their website to be sure.

For gardens and flowers, I'd make sure and take a day trip to the Hamakua Coast, particularly to visit Akaka Falls and the botanical gardens. October can be rainy on that side, but as long as it's not a downpour, it actually is nice to have some rain, the waterfalls will be more glorious and the plants happy, which they are year round on that side. The Kohala Coast will be dry and hot, as it is almost all year.

I don't think there are any festivals going on that time of year or hula competitions. You can find free hula and music performances at Waikoloa Beach Go here for a schedule at the various venues:

waikoloabeachresort.com/index.php/things-to-…

Here is a calendar of events island wide in October, but it will be more current closer to the time:

http://www.konaweb.com/calendar/#OCT

No hot air balloon rides. For me, I'd say the "must dos" would be the manta ray night snorkel, or a horseback tour into Waipio Valley, or perhaps the kayak and snorkel tour done by Kohala Kayak around Puako.

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary - 9 days in October

Thanks, Shea. Sounds like there are plenty of happy hours with happy music! Hopefully a few things with open dates on the calendar will occur during our stay.

My son told me the manta ray night snorkel is definitely a must do. Not sure about horseback riding - DH sometimes doesn't meet the weight limit. I probably don't have the endurance for kayaking, although I've started bike riding so maybe I'll be better by October (stage IV breast cancer definitely limits my ability to do lots of strenuous stuff).

We're staying at Hapuna Prince, so I should be able to snorkel off the beach. I guess that hot air balloon ride will happen somewhere here in the continental US.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary - 9 days in October

Check out Waialea Bay nearby, just south of Hapuna Beach ,can be a good place to snorkel if the water is calm.

The Blue Dragon at nearby Kawaihae Harbor might be a good place to do a cocktail and live music w/ maybe the John Kaewe slack key guitar night..

http://www.bluedragonrestaurant.com/events/

If you love gardens then a long day trip as far as Hawaiian Tropical Botanical Gardens just north of Hilo is a must. If you are having troubles w/ steep hikes then get their golf cart service that takes you back to the top of the gardens.

Edited: 3:02 pm, July 31, 2012
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,982 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary - 9 days in October

There isn't really any snorkeling to speak of off Hapuna. As TJ says check out Waialea next door, but October can be a transition month so make sure it's flat.

Salem, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
794 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary - 9 days in October

Thanks for the tips, TJ and Shea! Hopefully we'll luck out with calm waters. I'm usually pretty satisfied with sitting on a sand chair at the edge of the water, so anything beyond that is a bonus!

6. Re: Itinerary - 9 days in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 04, 2013