We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any beaches with fish in shallow areas for a 24M toddler?

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Any beaches with fish in shallow areas for a 24M toddler?

Can any locals recommend a beach near Waikoloa, Mauna Lani, or Mauna Kea that has fish a toddler could view simply by wading in knee deep water? Our toddler is too young to swim but loves fish. I am hoping there's at least one location where we could go to see fish in their natural environment rather than just look at aquariums.

My husband is not keen on putting our toddler on a boogie board to take him into deeper water to see the fish. I'm open to other suggestions that might be safer for a toddler.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any beaches with fish in shallow areas for a 24M toddler?

Fish don't like beach, they like coral.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any beaches with fish in shallow areas for a 24M toddler?

Best I can think of is: konaglassbottomboat.com/photo-gallery.html

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,845 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any beaches with fish in shallow areas for a 24M toddler?

Makaiwa Beach at the Mauna Lani has quite a few fish in shallow water. It's also a nice beach for kids. It's surrounded by fish ponds that have huge eels and lots of fish you can see just by walking around them. If you walk around the Mauna Lani bay hotel they have ponds with rays, fish, turtles, and sharks.

There are also sometimes a few fish hanging around in the shallows at the Fairmont's beach next door to the Mauna Lani.

24 mos is not too young to swim though! My daughter and nephew were both swimming and snorkelling a little by then, with me, of course. :-)

Edited: 3:57 pm, March 01, 2012
San Mateo...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any beaches with fish in shallow areas for a 24M toddler?

SheaG, thanks for the info. We tried taking our toddler to swim classes last summer but not being able to touch the ground freaks him out. Otherwise, he loves going into the water. Maybe he'll change his mind this time around.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any beaches with fish in shallow areas for a 24M toddler?

To contribute to Shea's excellent suggestion of Mauna Lani...

The cove in front of the Mauna Lani Hotel is protected, shallow and has a sandy bottom. A few fish hang-out there.

And in the adjacent tidal pools, there are invariably turtles sunning themselves on the rocks.

Don't get too close, keep your distance, but you can easily walk out to get a better look.

Along with the fish and eels in the fish ponds, there will be plenty for a toddler to see.

6. Re: Any beaches with fish in shallow areas for a 24M toddler?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:57 pm, June 12, 2013