We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauna Lani suggestions for August, family of 5

Connecticut
Level Contributor
196 posts
171 reviews
119 helpful votes
Mauna Lani suggestions for August, family of 5

Going to start with “I just wrote an epic post and it disappeared” grrrrr! Should have saved it. Will try to keep this one on point with no jokes or extra verbage.

We are a family of five with three older teen boys and looking for villa/condo/townhome in Mauna Lani complex for August. Had looked at other resorts/developments in the area and one question I asked in another thread is if the Hilton pool pass inclusion is more enticing than the Mauna Lani beach club inclusion and receiced several resounding “no” answers. And, after looking at accommodations it seems that Mauna Lani is a little nicer but that is solely an opinion from someone just viewing pictures. Anyway, focusing on Mauna Lani.

Hopefully this does not appear picky... looking for a minimum 3 bedroom with 4 beds (king, queen, 2 full/twin beds...), no pronounced road noise, grill on lanai, possibly walkable distance to ocean, larger in size (around 1,800 sq. ft.) and not exceeding $1,600 for four nights. Hopefully that did not induce eye rolls from any members!

I did find two rentals which I wanted to share but please feel free to send any others you recommend.

The first is 2405 Kulalani - Mauna Lani Kulalani with 3 Bedrooms, Mauna Lani Beach Club Pass, 2.5 baths, 1,966 sq. ft., $1,350 total with 10% discount from Resortica Hawaii. The link is:

https:/…

And the second is 68-1122 Na Ala Hele Rd., Golf Villas L5, which is 3 bedroom/3 bath, 1,800 sq. ft., includes beach pass and is $1,650. The link is

https:/…

For some reason I have tried posting the links before but they don’t seem to show in the post. Not sure if that is only happening to me so if you don’t see them my apologies. But you probably can get the idea of location which might be helpful. I believe the more expensive one is a little closer to the ocean but that could be like 1.5 miles as opposed to 2 miles with less expensive one. That price is awesome!

Any thoughts on the two posted or additional recommendations greatly appreciated. Thanks!

33 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
524 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Mauna Lani suggestions for August, family of 5

I'd throw in a vote for Palm Villas. Very likely under your budget. 3BR units, nice gas grill/kitchenette on Lanai. So quiet and you'll feel like youe the only ones there. Maybe 12 min walk to beach club, or 2 min drive with pass.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Mauna Lani suggestions for August, family of 5

I am here now at Mauna Lani (kulalani area), and it is quite new, but vegetation has grown in. I LOVE the pool/recreation/fitness centre (although right now, the family pool is being resurfaced). I can't comment on staying at the golf villas, but only to tell you they seem quite 'away' from everything else, and they are older in finishes (if that matters to you). The outdoor areas looked better to me though....less cramped.

I usually stay in the villages, as they are nice, large units, with high end finishes, and beautiful outdoor kitchens. This time, however, it was just 2 of us, so needing a much smaller place. It was a toss up as well for me to go with a unit at Kululani vs Golf villas, and in the end, it was the property mgmt co that made the difference for me (having rented with them before, I know they have EVERYTHING supplied/taken care of...including spices, oils, vinegars, paper towel, soaps, snorkel equip, bikes, boogie boards, coolers.....). I have to say, I am quite happy we chose the kululani unit.

Edited: 10:40 am, December 02, 2018
Connecticut
Level Contributor
196 posts
171 reviews
119 helpful votes
3. Re: Mauna Lani suggestions for August, family of 5

Is the property management company you are using Resortica Hawaii? Curious who it is. I got the feeling from the two units I listed in my post that the golf one is actually closer to the water than Kulalani. You mentioned Kulalani seems closer to everything but is that in reference to facilities or beach club? Thanks. Imagine you are enjoying your stay!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
3 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: Mauna Lani suggestions for August, family of 5

I responded on your other thread, fwiw.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
10,521 posts
507 reviews
449 helpful votes
5. Re: Mauna Lani suggestions for August, family of 5

last week we stayed at mauna lani terrace A204. it was fantastic for our adult family of 5. Close to pool, beach, walks. Highly recommend.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Mauna Lani suggestions for August, family of 5

Yes, the golf villas are closer to the beach club (which I LOVE and go to most every morning), but I also like the ability to go to the shops for a quick grocery run, or ride bikes to get a coffee. It is more important to me to be closer to the centre - especially if you can meander down for dinner, have a drink, and not worry about driving home. If you are getting into the car to go to the beach club, it honestly does not matter to me whether it is a 2 minute or a 5 minute drive, but I do like to walk/bike to get minor groceries and a smoothie. But everyone is different.....it just depends what your 'routine' here will be. We also love the adult lap pool here for evening swims, followed by a lovely hot tub before bed.

I have never rented with the one you speak of. I have now booked twice with PIH (and would choose them over any. Jeff and Suzanne have been nothing short of stellar. You can easily tell when the garage doors are open, which is a PIH managed unit, by the brand new, organized look.). Take a look at their website.....I found them at first on vrbo, but book directly through them to avoid the extra charges that vrbo always tacks on. Oh.....and the nightly rates might actually be less too, depending on time of year. To get the totals, click on your exact dates, and really read the detailed rates. The unit I am staying in was actually $60/night less than the normal nightly rate for the unit. I hope I am okay naming them here....if not, someone let me know and I can edit the post.

I don't think you can go wrong with either complex, provided you know you will be in multihousing (townhouses with usually 4.....I see some of the 3 bed units in here that have 2-3 to a section.). There aren't any single units here ..... but there is complete privacy in the particular unit I have. (Other units don't have the same experience). I have slipped into the golf villas complex, and although the pictures show an older interior, their outdoor experiences look superior to me, not as cramped. Each unit will have a different view/angle though, if that matters to you. It does for me, as most evenings, we eat on the lanai, with the exception of usually one or two dinners out. It will come down to your own preferences, and your group's too. Does your group like to work out? If so, the fitness centre at Kamilo/Kulalni is excellent, and the photos of the golf one are......not excellent. If no one does, then it is kind of irrelevant. At the end of the day though, you really can't go wrong with either choice. The biggest advantage, imho, is to be in Mauna Lani itself, (over the other place you were considering).

Scotts Valley...
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
17 helpful votes
7. Re: Mauna Lani suggestions for August, family of 5

Im leaving from Mauna Lani resort area now. Both complexes lovely. Ive stayed at Terrace which is very expensive but worth it for location. Walk to beach. Golf villas not as nice but a tad closer to beach club. You will get a beach pass at both and can drive right into beach club. Teens will like beach club and can snorkel and rent SUPs. Hilton is touristy in my opinion. Your teens will like the atv and zip lines and boogie boarding at nearby hapuna. I prefer mauna lani area over Waikaloa. Beach club is divine. Restaurant awesome but expensive. Pack lunches and cook breakfast to save money. Lava lava for sunset. Best shaved ice is next to CVS/Longs in kona in a small kiosk!

Edited: 5:07 pm, December 02, 2018
South Pole
Level Contributor
42,695 posts
4 reviews
25 helpful votes
8. Re: Mauna Lani suggestions for August, family of 5

Mauna Lani generally costs more because the units initially sold for considerably more than most complexes in Waikoloa Beach Resort. The high end construction at WBR would be Kolea and Hali Kai.

Mauna Lani also had a resortwide amenities package for homeowners that doesn’t exist at WBR.

The Palm and Golf Villas were, IIRC, the same developer and design. They and Fairways were at the low end of Mauna Lani, which makes them among the most affordable. They’re still half million dollar units or more, just weren’t in the 800,000 category.

Mauna Lani Point and The Terrace were first in and got the best proximity to the ocean, best views, easiest walk to ocean. They were built before the boom and to very high quality. They’re old enough to where you have refreshed and renovated units and others that may look dated.

I completely agree that if you’re taking the car to the beach, it doesn’t matter where you are in terms of beach access. Two minutes or five, who cares? If you’re buying groceries for five, you may not want to walk back from the store with them either. It’s hot in high summer during the day.

Kulalani has a specially large recreation complex because it shares with Ka Milo, which is an even higher end development of single family homes, some villas with small private pools. So with Kulalani you get more in terms of pools and fitness and grilling area, which you might look over and see if it calls to you.

There are numerous maps of Mauna Lani Resort online that show the complex locations. There are maps for individual complexes that show the unit locations. I think it’s worth it to get these overviews.

South Kohala Management has been around for many years as a property rental company. Whether you use them or not, their website has great info on the complexes and the resort.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
196 posts
171 reviews
119 helpful votes
9. Re: Mauna Lani suggestions for August, family of 5

Thanks for the info on mauna lani terrace A204. Gorgeous unit but don’t think it has a bbq grill in the unit/lanai which is huge for us. Have rented before and having to walk to community grills gets a little annoying, as far as carrying fhe food, waiting for a grill, bringing the food back... also there is no availability in August for this unit. One thing Mauna Lani does not lack is beautiful accommodations!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
196 posts
171 reviews
119 helpful votes
10. Re: Mauna Lani suggestions for August, family of 5

Divegalcop thanks for the info... those little details are huge like the shaved ice. I am leaning towards 2405 Kulalani because of the 2,000 sq. ft. size which is important with three teen boys, the facilities like the pool and fitness center which we will use, a grill on the lanai also important so no walks to community grills and the price which is around $300 per night inclusive of taxes/fees. We will be in Kauai the week prior and then still need to find accommodations in Hilo/volcano before coming to Mauna Lani... it ALL gets expensive! Thanks again.

Reply to: Mauna Lani suggestions for August, family of 5
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted