We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back again from Ciudad de Camagüey

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
5,560 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Back again from Ciudad de Camagüey

Just got back late last night from another great stay in Camagüey City. Found a couple of incredible new restaurants, made many new friends, and visited with many old ones too.

Bought a Cuban passport for my novia and helped bail her brother out of jail...long story. Visited with a few new friends in the poorest section of the barrio...a huge maze of very tiny dirt floor shacks pieced together with anything that can be found. That really blew my mind...just when I thought I'd seen it all. Unbelievable.

Went to a fiesta at my Cuban family's casa in Sola. Helped to kill the pig for the fire...a great honour for a yuma apparently ~ at least that's what they told me. All I know is the ron certainly helped, otherwise I couldn't have managed it. Mi soy Cubano ahora. jajaja It was a great day long party with lots of eating, drinking, dancing, and laughter with the whole family. Wonderful experience. Can't wait to do it again.

Good to be home too of course to recharge. But already missing everyone who made me feel so loved and appreciated. If anyone has any questions about life in the city or out in the surrounding countryside, feel free to ask. :)

¡ay! I'll never fly with Sunwing again...another long story, but please don't get me going on that one.

Terry

London, Canada
Level Contributor
329 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back again from Ciudad de Camagüey

Sounds like an awesome time especially the Fiesta...seen more than a few of those shacks in my visits..

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back again from Ciudad de Camagüey

Sounds like a great experience Terry. Thanks for sharing some of the highlights with us. I've never had the oppurtunity before to get intoxicated and chase a pig around with a knife. Nor have I ever bailed (or been bailed out) anyone out of a Cuban jail. Would love to hear more about the new restaurants you found.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back again from Ciudad de Camagüey

Ditto Terry - name and location of restaurants please.

I'm far too wimpy to do the kill the pig thing - I make sure I'm always somewhere else whilst that is done.

ps how much was the passport and was it the one which allows for automatic departure or does it still have to be updated with respect tot he abolition of the PVE from next January?

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back again from Ciudad de Camagüey

I heard around that the new passports are 100 CUC..

Although I have heard different things from all over..?

Edited: 7:58 pm, November 08, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back again from Ciudad de Camagüey

Ditto and ditto ddcuba which is why I was interested in what Terry's actual experience was.

Gibara, Cuba
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back again from Ciudad de Camagüey

Camagüey is one place in Cuba that i have never been before and have heard many good things about it from Cubans, people on this forum and a couple of fellow Canadian friends.

I had a great (quick) trip 2 weeks ago as well considering that I hadn't been to the island in 9 months and I got caught in a Hurricane.

Count me in with the ones who do not wish to chase a pig around with a machete, sloshed or not. I am too much of a peacenik but I guess that I am also too much of a hypocrite to not love eating pork. One late night at the PCV bar, it was just me with a couple of Cuban employees having a few beverages and eating what they called a Cuban delicacy; fried pig fat or was it skin? Can't remember the name now.

I don't mean to be a smartass but what is your Cuban novia gonna do with the passport? She'll never be able to visit Canada with the current regulations, unless you marry her of course.

And as for Sunwing,..... I always pay the extra now and take AC. I see that Cubana, Air Transat and Sunwing all fly to Camagüey. AirCanada and Westjet do not.

Welcome back to Reality.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back again from Ciudad de Camagüey

".....eating what they called a Cuban delicacy; fried pig fat or was it skin? Can't remember the name now. "

If light and puffy - “chicharrón de viento” - the common one sold on the street.

The thicker version is just referred to as“chicharrón”.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back again from Ciudad de Camagüey

"I don't mean to be a smartass but what is your Cuban novia gonna do with the passport?"

==========================================================

Visa Free Travel: …wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_Cu…

Gibara, Cuba
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back again from Ciudad de Camagüey

chicharrón - that's the name!!

Come to think of it, one or three times in Cuba I chased a chica around with a banana (don't recall if I was tanked or not!)

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Back again from Ciudad de Camagüey

Welcome home, Crazy Canuk.

Sounds like you had a great time.

So you're a "Pig Killer" now, are Ya?

Great Memories, I'm Sure!