We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Pico Turquino, anyone ?

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hiking Pico Turquino, anyone ?

I would like to go to Pico Turquino in the Sierra Maestra mountains. Looking for information concerning the hike. How long is the hike ? Better to start from the North or South side ? etc...

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Sierra Maestra
Sierra Maestra
85 Reviews
Cuba
39 replies to this topic
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking Pico Turquino, anyone ?

here's an interesting site www.summitpost.org/pico-turquino/154032

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking Pico Turquino, anyone ?

Can anyone recomend a tour group/guide? struggling to find anyone online

3. Re: Hiking Pico Turquino, anyone ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:05 am, March 13, 2015

Sarnia, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking Pico Turquino, anyone ?

I just got back from Pico Turquino and loved it.

It is 10.2 km from top to bottom with a vertical of 2000m. At the 4km mark on the way up, there is a small hut/farm/cafe that will prepare tea or coffee. It is run by a deserving young family that make about $125/year, a cute couple with 2 young daughters. If you can, either bring up some clothes or money to help them out.

The trail is marked and guided with exceptional views. You can't see much at the summit,but have the opportunity to see spectacular views along the way.You actually pass 2 other peaks on the way to the summit.

My 21 year old daughter who plays varsity soccer didn't have any trouble with the trek and probably could have jogged it. She did complain of sore muscles the next day but was fully functional. My 19 year old daughter who had her head in a book for the past 3 semesters without working out at all found it difficult. My 49 year old wife that doesn't work out often found it difficult as did I.

I carried about 14 litres of water for the group and snacks, you will need it. The trek took about 10 hours from top to bottom with several short breaks. I would recommend going slower. The guides will turn you back if they think you won't make it by dark and the entrance closes at 10 am. An excellent meal is served when you finish at the base.

Our guide didn't speak much english so a knowledge of the language or a translation book would be benefitial.

Oslo, Norway
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking Pico Turquino, anyone ?

Thanks for all this advice! What is the best way to get to Pico Turquino from Varadero or Santa Clara? it seems too far to drive?

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam, The...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking Pico Turquino, anyone ?

nice to read your report on the Pico climb. We are going there in August and think about climbing the pico too. Did you start from Las Cuevas or from Santa Domingo. And could you tell anyhing about the path, is it dangerous? I am afraid of walking along steep abysms...

Twickenham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking Pico Turquino, anyone ?

We have just climbed pico with a small group from Exodus, We stayed in bunk house Joaquin the night before ( 5 hour trek from where road ends) then started at 5.10am to top a 3 hour stiff climb, we then descended to Joaquin and then had lunch and walked a further 5 hours to Plata bunk house, but 5 other walkers from Greeece carried on to Las Huevas the best option in my opinion although if you want to see Fidel's hide out in Sierra Maestra best to do this before going up to Joaquin we did it after wards, Climbing is steep but steps available and in some places handrails, lots of water needed and sticks/poles helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Sierra Maestra
Sierra Maestra
85 Reviews
Cuba
Twickenham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking Pico Turquino, anyone ?

I think most people get a taxi to start and are collected from other end at Las Huevas, people doing it independently came from Santiago I think and paid 140 CUC's each which included accomodation at Joaquin for one night and guide.

Tulsa
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking Pico Turquino, anyone ?

Dan, what company or who did you use as your tour guide?

Twickenham, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking Pico Turquino, anyone ?

We were with a British company called Exodus, local guide was Raul. I think you can get them from Santa Domingo Park Office, but any of the state tourist companies in the larger towns would book one for you eg Cubacan tours. I think there are about 3 state tourist companies who will book it for you.

Reply to: Hiking Pico Turquino, anyone ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Guantanamo Province