We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalkudah Passekudah.. info please :) Vakarai??

London, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Kalkudah Passekudah.. info please :) Vakarai??

Hi folks!

Thanks in advance for reading my post!

We were planning to make our way to Trinco, but before we would like to stop over in K and P. As much as I red those place are still developing, trying to re organise the guesthouses and restaurant.

We are 2 backpackers and we don't want to sleep in any fancy resort place, but we would like to stay in much simpler guesthouse, eating rice and curry.. living cheap! Do you think it is possible.

Are there any guesthouse close to the beach or we have to take a tuktuk every time we want to go there?

It seems to be pretty tough to move around there... Maybe a bike?

Any other similar info about Vakarai as well?

Sail Lanka Charter
Boat Tours, Water Sports, Boat Rentals, Scuba & Snorkeling
Coconut Cultural Park
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,762 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalkudah Passekudah.. info please :) Vakarai??

Hi there,

Just behind the beach area are a few basic guesthouses. Use e.g. google maps and follow the road which goes from the eastern beach zone (peninsula tip with LSR marina towards Centara) to the junction with the road going to the northern beach zone and coconut board. Starts with Amethyst hotel then Uga Bay then Maalu Maalu and a few building spots in between. Near that junction and on the road towards Varachchenai railway station and town is a small cluster of guesthouses. See rooms etc. before committing, the first one in the corner just on west side of north beach road was so horrible that our driver rejected it as future drivers quarter (from Amethyst). The guesthouses also have small restaurants, indeed rice and curry.

Vakarai is more inland, no idea what touristy things you'd expect there.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
44 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalkudah Passekudah.. info please :) Vakarai??

Hi there, you could use the help of deal sites such as Agoda,bookings & hotel.com for ur accommodation.

Kurunegala, Sri...
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kalkudah Passekudah.. info please :) Vakarai??

See below screen shots you may get an idea about the area

http://prntscr.com/2u56cs

http://prntscr.com/2u56li

http://prntscr.com/2u56tk

Roads seems simple, even you rent a bike you can find way easy., You can ask from Traffic police officers in junctions when you need to find the correct road.

London, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kalkudah Passekudah.. info please :) Vakarai??

Thanks to both.

Many homestay and guesthouse don't even have internet and I think it is very hard to find them in booking.com etc.. Anyway you can get much better prices dealing with the people face to face than booking on line.

The name of the "guesthouses" you mentioned Erik are huge and posh resort (Maalu Maalu, Uga bay) and they are not the places in which we would like to stay.. We're scared in fact, to find just places like those. We wouldn't like to stay very far from the beach ( 2 km..) and be obliged to deal and pay every single day with a tuk tuk driver, we would like to be independent and find our way to the beaches.

Vakarai should be around 20 Km north of K and P. close to Sallithievu... any clue?

Thanks to both :)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,762 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kalkudah Passekudah.. info please :) Vakarai??

Hi again,

I did not mention those names as guesthouses, I used them for describing the road junction where to find the cheap guesthouses. Sorry if unclear. And that junction is 200 m walk from the beach hence suitable for you.

Yes Vakarai is there but the big question is what you expect there. It's not a beach place and won't have guesthouses I am afraid...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kalkudah Passekudah.. info please :) Vakarai??

Hello to all,

Thanks again for the help given :)

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
1 post
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kalkudah Passekudah.. info please :) Vakarai??

I will be visiting here for 3 days as part of my tour of Sri Lanka. Where do you recommend I can eat good food? Is it expensive to eat?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,762 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kalkudah Passekudah.. info please :) Vakarai??

Well there are no real tourist restaurants outside the hotels as such. There are guesthouses oriented towards locals, including the a bit weird Ahsram, serving rice & curry. And for the rest the far more expensive hotel restaurants.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

9. Re: Kalkudah Passekudah.. info please :) Vakarai??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, August 26, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Kalkudah