We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellent guide for out of the beaten track in Omo Valley

Excellent guide for out of the beaten track in Omo Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:29 pm, November 16, 2015
Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellent guide for out of the beaten track in Omo Valley

Hi, I contacted Emanuel for a trip in the South of Ethiopia. You told that he is not a guide for everyone. I don't need luxury hotels, but I don't want to sleep with a snake in my bed! Which is the target of the rooms? where didi you sleep? How much did you pay?

Where you vaccinated for something?

Thank you

Laura

2. Re: Excellent guide for out of the beaten track in Omo Valley

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Normal, Illinois
Level Contributor
101 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellent guide for out of the beaten track in Omo Valley

Wow - what a cool post! I just returned from going to both north and south, and I know what you mean about the touristic south. I did enjoy the bull running, but there were lots of tourists. I stayed in lodges, never felt I really got into the tribes in terms of communication or understanding. And with visiting other tribes, it was worse. We went in, always had a local guide from the tribe, saw a hut, took some pictures and left. I adore photography, so enjoyed that, but never felt it was more in-depth. I would love to do what you do, so I will keep this message and contact Emanuel. Question: so I'd have to get to Turmi to get Emanuel?And what tribes did you visit? I've read about the Dessenech - they're pretty remote, so don't know how possible that would be. Also, where else did you go that you loved? I'm thinking that the Danakil Depression sounds fascinating, or more time around Axum or Lalibela. Did you go to the Timkat celebrations?

4. Re: Excellent guide for out of the beaten track in Omo Valley

Normal, Illinois
Level Contributor
101 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellent guide for out of the beaten track in Omo Valley

Maybe we could go together, or parts of it together! When are you going again? So Emanuel has a car that he can use too? We did see tribes, like the Arbore, but I just felt it was fast and superficial. Does Emanuel spend more time in each of them, and does he talk about their beliefs, help you talk with them? I'd LOVE to spent overnight with the tribes. I could care less about luxury - I just want a comfortable bed and clean. More authentic is the point! I want to go to the Depression too. Did you love the rock churches around Tigray? I only saw those at Lalibela, but I'd like to pop around outside of cities more. So tell me more!!!

6. Re: Excellent guide for out of the beaten track in Omo Valley

Normal, Illinois
Level Contributor
101 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellent guide for out of the beaten track in Omo Valley

You are making me so excited about what to do when I go back. About times - problem for me is that I just got back, so I can't see going back before late fall or early next year, so the timing might not work for us to go together. Could you give me the name and contact info for the Tigray guide - sounds like you thought he was great. The idea of going to less touristy places is so appealing. And I want to go to the Depression, and back to the south... everywhere!!! And you recommend Harar area too? I am in great shape too, and love some hiking, beautiful nature areas. Have you been to some you recommend? I thought it would be cool to have a combination of some nature and some isolated tribes, but I don't know if that works. Can we share emails so we can communicate directly?

8. Re: Excellent guide for out of the beaten track in Omo Valley

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Excellent guide for out of the beaten track in Omo Valley

Hi there, how much did he charge roughly ???

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Excellent guide for out of the beaten track in Omo Valley

Hi there,

this is great info my friend and i are planning to go in about 4 weeks to southern Ethiopia we want to stay with the tribes and connect with them. We don't want a tour guide to zip us in an out, so Emanuel sounds great. How much does he charge roughly ?

Kind regards Jesse

Get answers to your questions about Southern Nations...
More Southern Nations, Nationalities, and People's Region Topics