We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Redwood Poaching

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
918 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Redwood Poaching

How horrible

cnn.com/2014/…

I just can't imagine someone looking at a tree like that and wanting to take a chunk out of it. We will be traveling over a thousand miles to see these trees, its a shame that others only see them as a money making opportunity.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,150 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Redwood Poaching

Yep, this is a huge issue and i am really glad to see that it is getting national attention. It has been getting local attention for some time. The key is demand - if the demand for products made from redwood burls decreases, the illegal suppliers will no longer be motivated to poach these trees.

LA
Level Contributor
10,106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Redwood Poaching

Criminals

Utter criminals

Please do NOT buy any redwood souveniers

Edited: 3:07 pm, May 07, 2014
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
918 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Redwood Poaching

If I hadn't seen the article, I would have been one of those people who would buy a souvenir. I love beautiful wood pieces. Are there legitimate, artistic redwood pieces? Is it best for tourist just not to buy any thing of this type, or is there a way to ensure the wood was obtained legally?

Thanks for any input.

LA
Level Contributor
10,106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Redwood Poaching

Sadly, there are legitimate vendors who only use downed tree material, but some have ended up buying from these thieves without knowing.

There is just no way to know and you have to rely on a reputable seller's instinct about the type of wood they buy.

Marcellus, New York
Level Contributor
929 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Redwood Poaching

No redwood souvenirs for us, now that I've seen that article. That is just deplorable - how could you harm something that magnificent? Ugh.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
918 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Redwood Poaching

Thank you for the information. Such a shame.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,675 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Redwood Poaching

There was a segment on KQED's California Report yesterday about the burl poaching.

…kqed.org/newsfix/…

8. Re: Redwood Poaching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 02, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Redwood National Park