We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most Charming Villages

SanFrancisco
Level Contributor
31 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Most Charming Villages

I will be visiting the French Basque country in July. I love photography and am interested in seeing the most beautiful villages. So far, I have come up with:

Sare

Ainhoa

BASTIDE-CLAIRENCE

Can anyone add to the list?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,730 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most Charming Villages

This site lists all "Les Plus Belles Villages": francethisway.com/most-beautiful-villages.php

Obviously, once a village gets on this list, it becomes over-run with tourists.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most Charming Villages

Which Basque country? Mediterranean or Atlantic? Or in between?

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,601 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most Charming Villages

I would also add Saint Jean Pied de Port, Saint Jean de Luz and Espelette to your list.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most Charming Villages

This tourism office website (named after Department 64 in France) will give you lots of ideas for towns and villages, as well as 'secret itineraries'. It's in French but the place names are of course understandable. Just click on 'cote basque', 'pays basque', etc.

tourisme64.com/1-13104-Villes-et-villages.php

SanFrancisco
Level Contributor
31 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most Charming Villages

I'm referring to the Atlantic part, near Biarritz.

6. Re: Most Charming Villages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:39 pm, January 19, 2016
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,303 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most Charming Villages

The Catalan Region is near the mediterranean. The Basque region is near the Atlantic.

If you can get your hands on a book called "The Most Beautiful Villages in France" its worth looking at

amazon.com/The-Most-Beautiful-Villages-Franc…

This website is also very helpful

les-plus-beaux-villages-de-france.org/en/the…

Vitoria-Gasteiz...
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most Charming Villages

Although it is more a town than a village, I would definitely add Bayonne to the list:

euskoguide.com/places-basque-country/cities/…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most Charming Villages

We strongly recommend tiny, family owned for generations Hotel Arcé in St, Etienne de Baîgorry, a village just west of St. Jean Pied du Port. Comfortable rooms overlooking a rushing river, excellent restaurant. The village offers good photo ops as do the Pyranees foothills that rise from the village.

10. Re: Most Charming Villages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 06, 2015